Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


30 July 2022

A youthful Blues side rounded off pre-season with a 2-1 defeat against Concord Rangers at Thames Road with 16-year-old Max Fiddes getting the goal for Kevin Maher’s side.

Less than 24 hours removed from last night’s friendly against Crystal Palace’s u21s, Kevin Maher made 11 changes to his side for the clash with Concord Rangers as the rest of his squad had the chance to impress ahead of next weekend’s league opener against Boreham Wood.

Jon Benton was the first to threaten with a long-range effort that was saved by Melvin Minter. Jake Wood then picked up the loose ball and crossed in towards Jaden Crowhurst who headed straight at the Beachboys goalkeeper.

Minter’s goal though was breached shortly after as youngster Max Fiddes puts the visitors in front after good work from Crowhurst down the right-hand side. The full-back played the ball across the face of goal for the teenager to tap in from close range.

Midway through the first half, the game was halted for almost 10 minutes after Jayden Randell came off worse in a challenge with Luke Reeve. Randell appeared to suffer a suspected broken leg after both went for a loose ball with the Concord man leaving the pitch on a stretcher.

Once the game resumed, Wood went close to a second for the visitors with a free-kick that narrowly went over the crossbar, while Benton forced a good save out of Minter after being played in by Fiddes as Blues went into the half-time interval 1-0 up.

Having made a smart save in first-half stoppage time from De-Sean Theobolds, Collin Andeng Ndi had to be at his very best to keep out Ben Search whose looping header looked destined for the back of the net only for Andeng Ndi to spring to his right and claw it away.

Up the other end and both Henry Sandat and Benton went close, but the home side were level on the hour after Reeve fouled Ricky Modeste inside the area. Danny Green stepped up to take the spot-kick and sent Andeng Ndi the wrong way to equalise.   

The home side then won a second penalty and a chance to win the game when Benton brought down Green inside the area. This time Ben Williamson took the opportunity from 12-yards and smashed the ball in with 20 minutes remaining which is how it remained.

Concord Rangers XI: Minter, Randell (Trialist 29’), Popo (Knowlden 81’), Pollock (C), Perkins, Theobolds, Modeste, Blanchfield (Search 8’) (Thompson 75’), Williamson, Green, Kyei (Carter 75’). Subs Not Used: Hernandez

Blues XI: Andeng Ndi, Arrowsmith, Lomas (Amir 46’), Davis (C), Reeve, Benton, Coker, Fiddes (Bland 85'), Sandat, Wood. Subs Not Used: Purcell, Williams, Terry


Concord Rangers: Danny Green (p)60’, Ben Williamson (p)70'

Southend United: Max Fiddes 10’

Advertisement block