Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


15 January 2022

Southend United exit the Buildbase FA Trophy after a 2-0 defeat against Dagenham and Redbridge at the Chigwell Construction Stadium.

Second-half goals from Mo Sagaf and Junior Morais put pay to Blues’ hopes of a Wembley trip this season as the Daggers advanced to the round of 16 at Southend’s expense.

With local bragging rights at stake as well as a place in the final 16 of the competition, it was Blues that started the brighter of the two sides early on in East London, twice going close from set-pieces in the opening few minutes.

Both chances came from the combination of Jason Demetriou and Josh Coulson, first with the Southend skipper seeing his corner headed over the bar by Coulson. Two minutes later and Coulson’s header from a Demetriou free-kick had to be cleared off the line by Joey Jones.

The home side took their time to get a foothold in the contest, with a wild effort from Angelo Balanta and a tame header from Mauro Vilhete the best the Daggers could muster in the opening half an hour.

Meanwhile, Blues continued to look the more threatening with Matt Rush seeing a header blocked from close range before fizzing a low ball across the face of goal that was begging to be tapped in, in front of the 820 Southend fans behind the goal.

Daryl McMahon’s side though ended the half strongly and created a string of chances before the interval. Vilhete and Balanta both had efforts go off target, while Balanta again along with Junior Morais saw efforts well blocked by a dogged Southend defence.

Daggers goalkeeper Elliot Justham had to be at his best to keep Blues out early after the restart with the visitors forcing two smart saves out the Dagenham stopper. Matthew Dennis saw his effort tipped over the bar, with Coulson testing Justham with a near-post shot from the resulting corner.

In the previous league meeting between the sides in October, Daggers put Southend to the sword with three quick-fire goals after a goalless first-half, and it was a case of history almost repeating itself three months on with the home side this time scoring two quick goals to take control of the tie.

Former Blues midfielder Myles Weston teed up Mo Sagaf for the game’s opening goal, crossing from the right for Sagaf to head home from close range. Eight minutes later and Daggers’ advantage was strengthened as Junior Morias tapped in from close range at the second time of asking.

The two quick goals had knocked the stuffing out of Kevin Maher’s side who could have fallen further behind had Steve Arnold not kept out Vilhete’s near-post strike with 20 minutes remaining as Southend were unable to muster a riposte.

Dennis, Sam Dalby and Terrell Egbri all had efforts go off target as the visitors tried to engineer a barnstorming finish to the tie, but it was to no avail as Southend exited the FA Trophy at the fourth round stage leaving Dagenham to advance to the last 16.

Dagenham & Redbridge XI: Justham, Reynolds, Wright, Walker (Ling 84’), Sagaf, Balanta (C), Weston, Vilhete, Morias, Jones (Rance 79’), Zouma (Johnson 46’). Subs Not Used: Lawlor, Clark, Saunders, Akanbi

Blues XI: Arnold, Ralph, Hobson, Coulson (Clifford 79’), Dalby, Ferguson, Gard, Rush (Egbri 60’), Demetriou (C), Dennis (Walsh 83’), Kensdale. Subs Not Used: Andeng Ndi, Howard, Lopata, Kinali

Referee: Sam Purkiss

Assistants: Grzegorz Kornasiewicz & James Hurst

Fourth Official: Hugh Gilroy


Dagenham & Redbridge: Mo Sagaf 56’, Junior Morias 64’

Southend United: None

Yellow Cards:

Dagenham & Redbridge: Yoan Zouma 5’

Southend United: None

Attendance: 2,585 (820 away)

Advertisement block