Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


26 February 2022

Southend United extended their unbeaten league run to 11 matches after drawing 1-1 with Solihull Moors at Roots Hall.

Sam Dalby had put the home side in front just after the half-hour mark, glancing in a cross from Leon Davies in the 31st minute.

The visitors though levelled just before the interval as Callum Maycock smashed in Solihull’s equaliser as the spoils were shared.

It was a clash between two of the in-form sides at Roots Hall this afternoon as Kevin Maher’s Southend United, looking to extend their unbeaten league run to 11 matches, took on a Solihull side who were looking to continue their promotion push having won five of their last six games.

And the visitors from the Midlands looked threatening right from the first whistle. After a foul by Will Atkinson that earned him an early booking, Andrew Dallas headed the resulting free-kick against the crossbar in just the third minute.  

Moments later and Solihull went close again as Southend couldn’t clear their lines. The ball came out to Harry Boyes who stung the palms of Steve Arnold with a rasping effort that needed parrying away by the Blues number one.

Southend were able to settle after surviving those early scares, but it wasn’t until the half-hour mark before they created a chance of their own. When it did come, it fell to Jason Demetriou who was picked out by Noor Husin's low cross, but Demetriou was unable to connect cleanly with the strike.

It was a chance the skipper will feel he should have done better with, but less than a minute later Blues were in front as Leon Davies placed a perfect cross onto the head of Sam Dalby whose glancing header beat Ryan Boot to give the home side the lead.

Dalby’s first goal since scoring the winner against King’s Lynn had Southend’s tails up, and they had chances to extend their advantage further with Matt Dennis twice breaking into the penalty area, seeing one shot deflect wide while the other was superbly blocked.

The visitors though continued to carry a threat of their own and they would level matters just before the interval. A long throw into the box by James Clarke was flicked on by Danny Newton, landing perfectly for Callum Maycock to smash home the equaliser from six yards out.

Maher would have been disappointed not to have held out until half-time, but his Blues side created two great chances early after the restart to restore their lead. Demetriou got on the end of a Harrison Neal cross to head over before a Davies cross found Dennis whose header was saved.

Neal Ardley was the first manager to reach for his bench, bringing on the tall Kyle Hudlin for Newton, and the substitute almost made an immediate impact as he got on the end of a Moors corner only for his glancing header to fly just over the crossbar.

As the second half wore on, chances were few and far between for both sides. Solihull arguably though had the best chance to nick all three points when they broke through and Dallas fired towards Arnold’s near post but Arnold was equal to it.

Maher made two attacking changes late on with Callum Powell and Jack Bridge coming on as Blues tried to find away to pick up a fifth straight home win and Powell had a couple of half-chances come and go but he was unable to find the breakthrough as the spoils were shared.

Blues XI: Arnold, Ralph, Hobson, Dalby, Atkinson (Bridge 82’), Neal, Demetriou (C), Davies, Dennis (Powell 82’), Kensdale, Husin. Subs Not Used: Andeng Ndi, Dunne, Wood

Solihull Moors XI: Boot, Clarke, Storer (C), Gudget, Sbarra, Maycock Barnett, McNally (Osborne 70’), Boyes, Dallas (Cranston 90’), Newton (Hudlin 54’). Subs Not Used: Rooney, Malcom,

Referee: Jacob Miles

Assistants: Thomas Cooke & Luke Scott

Fourth Official: Stephen Parkinson


Southend United: Sam Dalby 31’

Solihull Moors: Callum Maycock 44’

Yellow Cards:

Southend United: Will Atkinson 2’, Noor Husin 45+2’

Solihull Moors: Harry Boyes 45+2’, Danny Newton 54’, Andrew Dallas 86’

Attendance: 6,607 (45 Away)

Advertisement block