Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


18 April 2022

Southend United picked up their first win in six games as they beat Barnet 3-1 at The Hive thanks to goals from Harry Cardwell, Jason Demetriou and James Dunne.

The visitors got off to a lightning start by going in front after just five minutes from the penalty spot through Cardwell after Sam Dalby’s cross had been handled inside the area.

Blues then doubled their lead when Jason Demetriou volleyed in Tom Clifford’s header but Barnet had the chance to get back into the game with a penalty of their own before the break only for Steve Arnold to superbly save Ephron Mason-Clark's spot-kick.

The home side were much improved second half and did halve the arrears when sub Adam Marriot scored just after the hour, but Blues sealed the win late on when James Dunne scored in the fifth minute of stoppage time to wrap up the three points.

Both sides had been looking to bounce back following defeats on Good Friday after Blues lost 1-0 to Wealdstone at Roots Hall while the Bees shipped seven in a 7-3 defeat to Dagenham & Redbridge at the Chigwell Construction Stadium.

Kevin Maher made two changes to his Southend side from Friday’s defeat with Harrison Neal and Jack Bridge dropping out to be replaced by Will Atkinson and Sam Dalby, and the visiting Blues got off to the perfect start by taking the lead in just the fifth minute from the penalty spot.

Dalby’s cross from the right was adjudged to have been handled by Ben Richards-Everton inside the penalty area, leaving referee Elliott Swallow to point to the spot. Having failed to convert from 12-yards at the weekend, Jason Demetriou left the penalty to striker Harry Cardwell who found the bottom corner.  

It was the ideal start for the visitors, who were superbly backed by over 1,000 Blues fans, and they should have been celebrating again two minutes later after two Barnet defenders collided allowing Callum Powell to run clean through on goal, only for him to drag his shot wide.

Blues though didn’t have to wait much longer to double their advantage as Demetriou added to Barnet’s defensive woes with a second. After Dalby’s cross was headed back across goal by Tom Clifford, Demetriou was unmarked to volley the ball beyond goalkeeper Aymen Azaze after 15 minutes.

After such a fast start for Southend, the game calmed down and Blues were looking comfortable until Barnet won themselves a penalty after Kenny Clark fouled Richards-Everton 10 minutes before the break. Ephron Mason-Clark stepped up only to see his effort brilliantly saved by Steve Arnold low to his left.

Barnet boss Dean Brennan made a double change at the break as they tried to wrestle back Southend’s stranglehold, and they twice went close to halving the deficit with Reece Grego-Cox’s curling effort going over before Adam Marriott’s low shot was held by Arnold.

The Bees had been much improved after the interval and would go on to get themselves back in the game just past the hour mark when Marriott was picked out inside the penalty area and found the bottom corner with his low shot.

Back in the game and in the ascendancy, Barnet had a glorious chance to level matters with a quarter of an hour remaining when Marriott took a Rob Hall pass in his stride to be through on goal only for Arnold to stand tall and parry his effort wide.

Despite the Bees being on top in the second half, a third for Southend would have killed their momentum and Matt Dennis should have put the game to bed when he broke into the box one-on-one with Azaze only to drag his shot well wide.

The home side had their chances to punish Blues late on and had a Mason-Clark goal ruled out for offside in stoppage time, but Southend would wrap up a deserved victory on the break when Dennis ran through on goal and teed up James Dunne to score in the 95th minute to seal the win.

Barnet XI: Azaze, Thomas, Richards-Everton, Marshall, Powell (Marriott 46’), Mason-Clark, Greenidge (Hall 46’), Fonguck, Taylor (C), Havilland, Grego-Cox. Subs Not Used: Askew, Howe, Walsh

Blues XI: Arnold, Hobson, Dalby, Powell (Dennis 70’), Clifford (Kensdale 46’), Gubbins, Atkinson, Clark, Demetriou (C), Husin, Cardwell (Dunne 81’). Subs Not Used: Andeng Ndi, Bridge

Referee: Elliott Swallow

Assistants: Jack Clench & Grzegorz Kornasiewicz

Fourth Official: Matthew Norton


Barnet: Adam Marriott 61’

Southend United: Harry Cardwell (p)5’, Jason Demetriou 15’, James Dunne 90+5’

Yellow Cards:

Barnet: Rob Hall 66’, Wes Fonguck 67’, Ross Marshall 90’

Southend United: Joe Gubbins 45+2’, Will Atkinson 57’, Ollie Kensdale 90+4’

Attendance: 2,202 (1,078 Away)

Advertisement block