Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


13 November 2021

Blues fell to a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Woking this afternoon with goals from Tahvon Campbell and a late penalty from Max Kretzschmar the difference at Roots Hall.

After a quiet opening 22 minutes, the visitors took the lead with their top-scorer Campbell firing in his 11th goal from 15 league appearance with a low strike across the face of Steve Arnold which found the bottom corner.

Try as they might, Blues weren’t able to find an equaliser despite a flurry of chances falling to Sam Dalby, Rhys Murphy and Zak Brunt, with Woking sealing the victory late on with a penalty, awarded for handball and dispatched by Kretzschmar.

Following last weekend’s defeat to Chesterfield in the Emirates FA Cup, Kevin Maher made two changes to the side for the visit of Woking as Jason Demetriou returned to right-back, replacing Rob Howard, while Harry Phillips came into the centre of midfield in place of Nathan Ferguson.

Woking, on their first-ever visit to Roots Hall, had the better of the opening exchanges and had a number of corners come to nothing, but after a quiet opening 20 minutes, the Cards took the lead with their top-scorer Tahvon Campbell firing the visitors in front.

After being picked out by a cross from the left from Solomon Nwabuokei, the Woking number 19 shifted the ball onto his weaker left foot and drilled a low shot beyond Steve Arnold and into the bottom corner from the edge of the box for his 11th goal already this season.

Alan Dowson’s side continued to keep the pressure on, winning a lot of second balls as Southend struggled to create any clear openings in front of goal. And it could have got worse for Maher’s side had Tyreke Johnson’s effort not come off the top of the crossbar five minutes before the interval.

The Blues boss brought on Nathan Ralph for Jack Bridge at the break and Southend immediately went on the hunt for an equaliser, going close inside the opening minute of the second-half as Sam Dalby had a great chance blocked from close range inside the box.

Blues were looking livelier in the second 45 and went close again when Rhys Murphy was found in acres of space at the far post, but from an acute angle, the striker was unable to find the target, firing over the crossbar.

Woking though continued to carry a threat going forward and were only inches away from a second of the afternoon when Campbell fizzed a low shot across the face of Arnold’s goal, just missing the post.

Backed by almost 6,000 at Roots Hall, Dalby forced a fine save out of goalkeeper Craig Ross with his downward header being scooped away. Zak Brunt then had a half-chance come and go after wriggling through several challenges only to fire wide.

Despite their efforts, Blues were hit with a late sucker punch as referee Ryan Atkin awarded the visitors a penalty with two minutes remaining for an apparent handball. Max Kretzschmar stepped up confidently to blast the spot-kick into the top corner to secure the Cards the three points.

Blues XI: Arnold, Hobson, Bridge (Ralph 46’), Dunne, Murphy, Dalby, Phillips (Walsh 75’), Lopata, Demetriou (Rush 87’), Brunt, White (C). Subs Not Used: Ogogo, Ferguson

Woking XI: Ross, Lofthouse, Casey, Champion, Diarra, Loza (Effiong 72’), Nwabuokei, Kretzschmar, Johnson (Thompson-Sommers 90+1’), Campbell, Ince. Subs Not Used: Collier, Allarakhia, Maguire-Drew

Referee: Ryan Atkin

Assistants: Hugh Gilroy & George Byrne

Fourth Official: Kirsty Dowie


Southend United: None

Woking: Tahvon Campbell 22’, Max Kretzschmar (p)88’

Yellow Cards:

Southend United: James Dunne 56’

Woking: Craig Ross 78’

Attendance: 5,821 (308 Away)

Advertisement block