Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Charlton Athletic 2-3 Southend United

25 August 2020

Southend United came from 2-0 down to beat Charlton Athletic 3-2 on Tuesday afternoon in their third behind-closed-doors pre-season game.

Brandon Goodship, Eren Kinali and Isaac Hutchinson were all on target for Mark Molesley’s side against the Sky Bet League One outfit.

And there was more good news as Harry Lennon made his return from a broken leg, coming through 30 minutes, as pre-planned, unscathed against his former club.

In blustery conditions at Charlton’s training base the first chance of the game went to the hosts as Jay Mingi headed wide at the back post from a corner.

Blues responded immediately with Jordan Green stinging the hands of Dillon Phillips with a deflected low drive from 18 yards.

Terrell Egbri had a shout for a penalty turned down when he went to ground in the box as he looked to cut onto his left foot but referee Charles Breakspear waved play on.

And The Addicks went straight up the other end and were awarded a penalty after a foul from Mark Oxley on George Lapslie, which Josh Davison tucked away.

Green had another chance from the edge of the box after good play from Charlie Kelman to play him in but his shot was straight at Phillips, before Charlton added a second moments before the break, Lapslie finding the back of the net from 30 yards.

The second-half got off to a slow and largely uneventful start, the only clear cut chance for either side going the way of Molesley’s men as Stephen Humphrys whipped a free-kick inches over Dillon Phillips’ crossbar.

Changes were made on the hour mark as on came Jason Demetriou, Miles Mitchell-Nelson, Richard Taylor, Rob Howard, Eren Kinali, Lewis Gard, Isaac Hutchinson, Trialist, Emile Acquah and Brandon Goodship.

And that paid dividends as Blues got back into the game thanks to Goodship’s close-range header at the far post following a cross from the right-hand side.

Shortly after the striker had another chance as he shifted the ball onto his right foot but his shot was deflected behind.

It wasn’t long until the visitors got themselves on level terms, though, thanks to an unstoppable strike from Kinali that nestled into the top right hand corner of the net, and like Goodship his second goal in pre-season.

Blues were on top and almost took the lead when Hutchinson’s shot squirmed behind for a corner after a save from Phillips.

The hosts responded with Albie Morgan blazing an effort over.

Good work from Acquah up the other end to hold off the challenge inside the penalty area allowed him to set up Hutchinson who fired high and wide with five minutes left on the clock.

However, there was to be one final chance in an entertaining encounter which fell to Hutchinson again who made it third time lucky for himself to grab Blues the winner.

His low right-footed shot curled round the defender and into the far corner of the net as Molesley’s side made it three pre-season wins from three games.

First 60 minutes XI: Oxley, Bwomono, White, Lennon (Hutchinson 30’), Clifford, Green, Klass, Phillips, Egrbi, Kelman, Humphrys

Final 30 minutes XI: Oxley, Demetriou, Mitchell-Nelson, Taylor, Howard, Kinali, Gard, Hutchinson, Trialist, Acquah, Goodship


Charlton Athletic: Davison (p), Lapslie

Southend United: Goodship, Kinali, Hutchinson

Advertisement block