Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

2018/19 Season Review: October & November

23 May 2019

After finishing September on a high next up for Blues was a trip to Burton Albion on the 2nd October, going one nil down at half-time to a Liam Boyce goal looked like Southend would come away with a defeat, but Tom Hopper and Simon Cox were both on hand to make sure we took home all three points...

The following game saw Oxford United travel to Roots Hall in what ended up being a goalless draw, the next Tuesday saw another Checkatrade Trophy match come up for Blues as they made a short trip down the A12 to Essex rivals Colchester United, but the game went in the favour of the hosts, beating Southend 2-0. 

Saturday 13th October saw Blues travel to Gillingham to try and go five games unbeaten in the league, and they did just that thanks to Simon Cox’s second-half brace.  

The next match for Southend was at Roots Hall against Coventry City, but the unbeaten run came to an end as we suffered a 2-1 defeat to the Sky Blues.   

Three days later and another game at Roots Hall gave the team a chance to show a reaction from the previous defeat, and that’s just what they did; beating Walsall 3-0 courtesy of a Timothee Dieng header and a Harry Bunn brace. (Which ended the dreaded North Stand goal drought – up until this part of the season not a single Southend player had scored at the North End). But the game was overshadowed by the fact that both Tom Hopper and Harry Lennon were left limping off the pitch in a lot of discomfort. 

A long five and a half hour drive up to the Stadium of Light was the final fixture in October, a 3-0 defeat to the Black Cats was tough to take after the journey, but it didn’t damper the 1,000 + Blues fans that were in full voice throughout the game. 

The terrible news of an ACL injury to Hopper and a similar injury to Ben Coker would see the pair out for the rest of the season, and that was just the start of Blues injury woes, as Harry Lennon was also announced injured after breaking his leg and ruled out for a number of months. 

The first match of November was a trip to Barnsley which was decided by an 87th minute winner from the home side. An Emirates FA Cup fixture was the next encounter for Blues, Michael Kightly bagged the opener in the first half before an unfortunate own goal from John White meant a replay was the only way to decide the progression for one side. 

A 3-0 win in the Checkatrade Trophy saw Elvis Bwomono score his first senior goal in what was a very impressive performance for a very youthful side. 

League One football returned to Roots Hall when Blackpool visited Southend on 17th November, the match was a close contest, but the Tangerines ended up 2-1 winners. The Emirates FA Cup replay against Crawley was the next game and after drawing at the end of 90 minutes the game went to extra time, Southend’s higher league status showed as the players’ stamina proved vital as they battered the Red Devils 6-2 to progress through to the Second Round of the competition for the first time since 2013. 

A 2-1 defeat on the road to AFC Wimbledon was brushed aside by an impressive display against Scunthorpe United as Dieng and Sam Mantom both fired home to secure the only league win in November. 

Blues lost young defender Harry Kyprianou in the defeat to AFC Wimbledon which meant another player would be missing for the rest of the season.

Advertisement block