Southend United Community & Educational Trust have an exciting opportunity as they look for a new person to help join their strong team...
Job Title: Team Leader / Assistant Team Leader
Reporting to: SUCET Wave leaders & Programme Leader
Salary: £15,000 - £22,000 per annum, depending on experience
Southend United Community and Educational Trust have an exciting opportunity for anyone wanting to be a part of an amazing team and help us complete our #millionmission.
To lead a group of up to 15 young people throughout the duration of the National Citizen Service (NCS) programme as well as facilitating and delivering workshop sessions. Your passion, organisation, and outgoingness will drive the young people to complete the programme to the best of their ability.
Key tasks and Responsibilities:
* To lead and or support a group of young people for the duration of the programme following the SUCET and NCS structure. Keeping them focused on high adrenalin activities as well as their Social Action Project
* To be a positive role model for young people at all times by demonstrating leadership skills, a positive attitude and team spirit despite working unsociable hours within the residential phases
* To inspire, motivate and encourage the young people whilst on programme to help them reach their maximum potential and complete the programme
* To facilitate and/or deliver phase 2 workshop sessions
* Manage participants behaviour and attendance in accordance with the procedure set out in the NCS Staff Handbook
* Administrative duties as outlined in the NCS Staff Handbook (registers and surveys)
* To design and conduct daily reflection sessions
* To be punctual and alert when on morning wake up and evening night time duties
* To travel with, stay with, supervise and support the young people during the residential phases of the programme including facilitating, supervising or leading their day/night time activities
* To ensure the safety and welfare of the young people in your group at all times, referring any safeguarding issues to the Wave Leader/Programme Leader
* To establish effective working relationships with colleagues to ensure the successful delivery of the NCS Programme
* To liaise regularly with Programme Leaders and Wave Leaders keeping them informed with any issues and progression within your group
* To ensure all personal information regarding young people is kept confidential in accordance with the data protection and safeguarding requirements
* The ability to be flexible during the duration of the NCS Programme
* To carry out any other duties within the scope and spirit of the programme
Knowledge and Experience:
* Have a thorough understanding of the NCS programme
* Experience in managing and motivating young people
* Ability to positively influence young people who may display challenging behaviour
* Previous experience in a residential youth environment (e.g. youth camps, scouts) is desirable
* Proven ability to work on own initiative
Skills and Abilities:
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills
* Well organised
* Rapport and empathy with young people
* Tolerance and patience
* Ability to lead and work as part of a team
* Emotional resilience with the ability to remain calm in difficult situations
* A sense of humour
* Pass or above in English and Maths
* Coaching qualification (desirable)
* First Aid qualification
* Wave 1: 1st – 19th July 2019
* Wave 2: 8th – 26th July 2019
* Wave 3: 22nd July – 9th August 2019
* Wave 4: 29th July – 16th August 2019
This job is on a fixed term contract.
Employment is subject to the provision of satisfactory references and the completion of an enhanced DBS check.
Applicants must be available on 20th and 21st June 2019 for training with the rest of the NCS SUCET Staff and 5th September for the NCS Graduation.
To apply for this job contact the Community Team on 01702 341351 or email h.wren @southendunited-cet.co.uk