Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Southend 0-2 Wycombe

13 April 2019

Blues were dealt a blow to their survival hopes as Adebayo Akinfenwa’s brace gave Wycombe a 2-0 win over Southend at Roots Hall.

Neither side could break the other down in the first-half, with no team able to create a clear-cut opportunity in front of goal.

But the Chairboys would go in front midway through the second-half when Scott Kashket’s low ball across the face of goal was put in at the far post by Akinfenwa.

The striker then doubled Wycombe’s lead three minutes later when another cross, this time from the right, found its way to Akinfenwa who looped his header in, securing the points for the visitors.

There was to be no happy homecoming for boss Kevin Bond, who was making his first appearance at Roots Hall following his appointment, and he’d have been disappointed not to have built on last weekend’s morale-boosting performance and point at Fleetwood.

It was a nervy first-half from both sides in a game that neither could really afford to lose and the unchanged visitors created the first chance of note from a set-piece as Scott Kashket’s free-kick hit the Blues wall before falling to Dominic Gape whose effort was deflected wide for a corner.

Southend boss Kevin Bond was making his first appearance at Roots Hall as manager and he made two changes to the side that deservedly earned a point at Fleetwood last weekend with Stephen Humphrys and Timothee Dieng coming in for Harry Bunn and Luke Hyam.

One of the highlights of last weekend's draw in Lancashire was the build-up play from Blues and they exhibited more of the same here as Humphrys, Sam Mantom and Simon Cox combined well before Cox’s looped ball into the far post was headed away from danger.

Adebayo Akinfenwa had a decent opportunity for the Chairboys but his header inside the penalty area lacked the power needed to beat Nathan Bishop, while Southend had a headed opportunity of their own go begging when Dieng headed over from Sam Hart’s free-kick.

Bond was then dealt a blow when his captain, Jason Demetriou, was forced off through injury but it didn’t disrupt the home side who had a chance fall to Mantom whose shot went straight down the throat of Allsop as the game remained goalless going into the interval.

Early after the restart, Wycombe thought they had a clear shout for a penalty turned down by referee David Coote after Dieng swung a leg at Kashket in the box. The midfielder went down under the challenge but instead of winning a penalty he was booked for simulation.

It was looking like one goal would decide the outcome of the contest and Bond threw on some fresh legs up front to try and force a winner as Emile Acquah replaced Humphrys to partner Cox in attack, but Blues were caught out just seconds later as Wycombe took the lead.

Kashket’s burst of pace down the left got him into position to play a low ball across the face of the Southend goal where Akinfenwa was lurking to score in front of the travelling Wycombe fans and give Bond’s side a mountain to climb to get an elusive win.

And that climb was made twice as difficult as the Wycombe striker, known as ‘The Beast’, put the visitors further in front just three minutes later. A deep cross from the right was headed back across goal by Akinfenwa, looping over Bishop and into the bottom corner to make it 2-0.

Southend needed a goal and quickly to spark any sort of comeback and a goalmouth scramble ended when Harry Lennon’s prodded effort deflecting into the arms of goalkeeper Allsop before he and other Wycombe players fell to the floor.

Blues won a number of set-pieces late on as time began to run out, but they were unable to force the ball into the back of the net and stage a turnaround, as Wycombe held on for their first win in 13 matches.

Blues XI: Bishop, Kightly (McLaughlin 61’), Dieng, Cox, Kiernan, Mantom, Demetriou (C)(Bwomono 33’), Lennon, Humphrys (Acquah 68’), Hart, White. Subs Not Used: Oxley, Turner, Yearwood, Bunn

Wycombe Wanderers XI: Allsop, Jombati, Gape, El-Abd (C), Kashket, Harriman, Thompson, Akinfenwa (Cowan-Hall 82’), Freeman, Samuel, McCarthy. Subs Not Used: Ma-Kalambay, Jacobson, Stewart, Bean, Bloomfield, Owens

Referee: David Coote

Assistants: Stephen Child & Edward Smart

Fourth Official: Daniel Robathan


Southend United: None

Wycombe Wanderers: Adebayo Akinfenwa 69’, 72’

Yellow Cards:

Southend United: Michael Kightly 43’

Wycombe Wanderers: Scott Kashket 47’, Adebayo Akinfenwa 67’

Attendance: 7,689 (722 Away)

Advertisement block