Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: AFC Wimbledon 2-1 Southend

24 November 2018

Blues’ troubles in the league continued as they suffered a fourth successive league defeat after losing 2-1 to struggling AFC Wimbledon at The Cherry Red Records Stadium.

Spirits had been lifted by Southend’s midweek Emirates FA Cup win and they went in front early on against the Dons when Stephen Hendrie’s cross was turned into his own net by Liam Trotter.

The creator of Blues’ goal though would end up turning the ball into his own net in first-half stoppage time, inadvertently heading Scott Wagstaff’s cross beyond Mark Oxley.

And it was another wide ball that was Southend’s undoing in the second-half as Mitch Pinnock’s cross from the right floated all the way through and into the back of the net to win it for the Dons.

Defeat leaves Blues without so much as a point in the league so far in November, with Scunthorpe the visitors to Roots Hall on Tuesday.

Chris Powell saw the midweek win against Crawley as something to build on following disappointing results in the league and the Blues boss made three change to the side with Stephen Hendrie, Dru Yearwood and Sam Mantom all coming into the starting line-up.

One of the goalscorers from Tuesday, Stephen McLaughlin, dismissed the idea that Blues would be tired after going to extra-time against Crawley and Blues looked the fresher of the two sides, creating an early chance for Theo Robinson whose shot was parried by Joe McDonnell.

The Dons had picked up just one win in their last 10 in the league and were desperate for a positive result under interim-boss Simon Bassey and they went close when Kwesi Appiah controlled a long ball forward to tee up Mitch Pinnock only for him to blaze over.

Southend though would take the lead moments later when Stephen Hendrie found space down the left wing to swing the ball into the box, seeing his cross diverted into his own net by Liam Trotter to give Blues the lead inside 10 minutes.

Blues struggled to build any momentum after taking the lead and the flow of the game was stop-start at best with Dons going closest to grabbing the second goal of the game when captain Deji Oshilaja fired over from just inside the penalty area.

But the home side would level before the break and, having gone behind to an own goal, it was an own goal from Southend that got them level. Scott Wagstaff’s deep cross put pressure on the Blues backline, resulting in Hendrie nodding the ball beyond Mark Oxley in first-half injury time. 

It was much the same in the second-half with neither side able to take control of the contest and, in an attempt to restore their lead, Chris Powell brought Harry Bunn and Shawn McCoulsky on on the hour mark to replace Dru Yearwood and Theo Robinson.

The changes though didn’t have the desired effect and with just over 20 minutes of the game remaining, Wimbledon would take the lead when Pinnock’s cross from the right deceived the Blues defence and floated all the way in beyond the despairing dive of Oxley.

Dons were on the verge of just their fourth league win of the season and they went within the width of the post away from sealing the points when Joe Pigott struck the woodwork following a goalmouth scramble.

Pigott again had another chance to wrap things up when he had a shot superbly cleared off the line by John White before his follow-up forced a reaction save from Oxley to keep Blues within one goal as time began to run out.

Pinnock’s fortuitous goal though was enough for the Dons to grab a much needed three points to ease their troubles at the foot of the table with Southend moving on to what feels like a must-win game at home to Scunthorpe on Tuesday night at Roots Hall.

AFC Wimbledon XI: McDonnell, Purrington, Oshilaja (C), Nightingale, Wagstaff, Appiah (Pigott 43’), Pinnock (Andy Barcham 90+1’), Trotter, Soares, McDonald, Wordsworth (Hartigan 90+1’). Subs Not Used: King, Watson, Thomas, Jervis

Blues XI: Oxley, Dieng, Cox, Yearwood (Bunn 61’), Mantom (C), Moore, Demetriou, Kyprianou, Robinson (McCoulsky 61’), Hendrie (McLaughlin 82’), White. Subs Not Used: Bishop, Bwomono, Hyam, Kightly

Referee: S Martin

Assistants: I Cooper & A Waters

Fourth Official: M Russell


AFC Wimbledon: Stephen Hendrie OG 45+1’, Mitch Pinnock 69’

Southend United: Liam Trotter OG 9’  

Yellow Cards:

AFC Wimbledon: None

Southend United: None

Attendance: 4,195 (671 Away)

Advertisement block