Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Blackpool 1-1 Southend

17 March 2018

Blues drew for the third game running in tricky and snowy circumstances at Bloomfield Road, and came agonisingly close to stealing all three points late on.

For Blues trip to Blackpool, Chris Powell made four changes to Blues starting line-up, as John White, Michael Timlin, Stephen McLaughlin and Simon Cox were all recalled to the side.

Blackpool started the better of the two sides, and after just 35 seconds Blues were fortunate not to be a goal down, as Sean Longstaff rattled the crossbar from around 12 yards out, following some excellent play by Viv Solomon-Otabor down the left wing.

However, following their nervy start, Blues took the lead in the 11th minute, as a Wordsworth free kick from around 20 yards out hit Joe Lumley’s left-hand post, and fell kindly to Marc Antoine Fortune, who bundled the ball home to give Blues the lead.

Blues nearly doubled their lead in the 19th minute, as some excellent combination play by Anthony Wordsworth and Ben Coker down the left-hand side saw the latter cross the ball in towards the back post where Stephen McLaughlin rose above his marker, but, the Irishman headered the ball just wide of Lumley’s left-hand post. 

The first half was one of few chances, however, when they came Blues had the most notable efforts, as in the 35th minute, Fortune nearly doubled his goal tally, as yet again some excellent play between Wordsworth and Coker down the left-hand side, saw Coker pass the ball to Fortune at the edge of the penalty area, however, Lumley in the Blackpool goal was equal to the Frenchman’s curling effort towards the far post.

However, on the stroke of half time, Blackpool equalised following a corner from the left-hand side, which was swung in by Jimmy Ryan and was powerfully met by Danny Philliskirk, who forced a world class save by Mark Oxley, but, Blues couldn’t clear their lines, and the rebound was hammered home by Clark Robertson.

Through the early stages of the second half, each side cancelled each other out, but, in the 50th minute Mark Oxley produced a brilliant double save, as Longstaff sliced through the middle of Blues midfield around 20 yards out and took a shot which Oxley palmed into the path of Kyle Vassell whose effort looked bound for the top left-hand corner, but for a smart reflex save by Blues goalkeeper.

At midpoint in the second half, Blackpool were in their ascendancy, as they had a couple of notable efforts on goal, with firstly Kyle Vassell going close, as he nipped in front of his marker John White, but, put his effort high and wide from just inside the box.

Then, with little under 20 minutes to go, Vassell found himself in on goal again, as he beat Michael Turner to a through ball, but, Oxley produced a smart save to his bottom left-hand corner to keep the scores level.

In the 84th minute, Blues came agonizingly close to taking the lead, as a bombing run down the right wing by Demetriou, saw the Cyprus captain pass the ball in field to Wordsworth, who then passed the ball to Dru Yearwood who put an excellent through ball to Demetriou, who was in on goal, however, his effort hit the inside of the right-hand post and out, much to the Tangerines relief.

This means that Blues have no wins in their last four games, and have drew three games in a row. However, in tricky and snowy circumstances, this was a hard earned away point at Bloomfield Road. Blues next game is at Roots Hall against Rotherham on Saturday.

Advertisement block