Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Blues In The News: Blackpool 1-1 Southend

19 March 2018

Blues were left frustrated on Saturday after taking an early lead which looked to be enough to beat Blackpool before the hosts pulled one back to secure a draw.

Take a look at what the media had to about the game.

Southend Echo

SOUTHEND United were held to a third successive stalemate on Saturday, drawing 1-1 at Blackpool.

Marc-Antoine Fortune fired Blues into an early lead.

But Blackpool hit back just before the break with Clark Robertson on target to ensure the game again ended all square.

Blackpool came close to opening the scoring inside the first minute when Sean Longstaff smashed a 12 yard shot against the top of the crossbar.

But, after surviving the scare, Blues began to get back in the game and opened the scoring in the 10th minute of the match, with Fortune on target.

The experienced Frenchman reacted sharply after a fine 25 yard free-kick from Anthony Wordsworth had bounced back off the right post and netted with a prodded effort from close range.

Moments later, Fortune scuffed a 12 yard shot straight at Blackpool goalkeeper Joe Lumley before his strike partner Simon Cox was slightly fortunate to remain on the pitch.

Having already been booked for dissent, Cox caught Curtis Tilt with a late challenge but referee Andy Haines decided against showing a second yellow card, much to the anger of the hosts.

However, Blackpool’s mood was lifted on the stroke of half-time when Clark Robertson brought them back level.

The defender netted with an accurate effort into the left hand side of the goal after Shrimpers shot-stopper Mark Oxley had superbly denied Danny Philliskirk.

At half-time Blues boss Chris Powell opted to make his first change of the afternoon with Theo Robinson replacing Cox in attack to stop the striker being sent off.

But it was Blackpool who threatened first with Longstaff and Kyle Vassell both being denied in quick succession by Oxley.

Moments later, Vassell sliced a close range effort wide of the left post before Powell made a second change with Sam Mantom being handed his Shrimpers debut as he replaced Fortune in the 74th minute.

And the alteration almost resulted in Blues netting a late winner as Jason Demetriou struck the inside of the right post with a low, left footed shot after latching onto a fine through ball from Dru Yearwoood.

Yellow advertiser

SOUTHEND UNITED manager, Chris Powell, was left with mixed feelings after his side played out a 1-1 Sky Bet League One draw with Blackpool at Bloomfield Road.

Marc Antoine Fortune handed Southend an eleventh-minute lead on the Lancashire coast, following up after Anthony Wordsworth’s dead-ball effort had rebounded off an upright.

However, the home side hit back to earn a point when Clark Robertson followed up to score after Blues stopper, Mark Oxley, had saved Danny Philliskirk’s initial effort.

This was Southend’s third successive league draw. Speaking to the Blues official website after the match, Powell commented: “Another draw - the positive is we haven’t lost but we haven’t won and we haven’t won for a while and that kind of bugs me a little bit, but I’m still learning and looking at my team.

“Nine games, four wins, four draws, one defeat; I think a couple of those draws we could have converted and the loss was a big shock to the system, but there’s always a lot to pay for.

“I think there’s your own individual pride, there’s pride in your shirt, pride in the football club and for your future and what we want to do in the future.”

Speaking about the games as a whole, Powell said: “After the first minute where they clipped the bar, we slowly but surely got ourselves in the game, got ourselves ahead and had a period where, really, if we’d go the second goal that really would have got us going.

“It was a real patchy game, as it panned out, with the way Blackpool played. They put us under pressure with a lot of balls direct from corners or just in open play and asked questions of us and I thought we handled it pretty well in the main.”

The former England defender continued: “Mark Oxley made some really outstanding saves and, again, wherever you’re playing in League One it’s really tough and I’ve always said I’ll commend and applaud my players because with the travelling, with the way the pitches are you have to play accordingly and play the conditions and they certainly did that today.

“Even though we came under a bit of pressure second half, we still could have won it with [Jason] Demetriou’s chance that hit the post, but equally, they had a chance right at the death and it didn’t happen, so we take the point and we move on.”

BBC Sport

Blackpool picked up another point in their quest for League One survival after coming from behind to draw with Southend.

The Seasiders were denied a first-minute goal by the woodwork as Viv Solomon-Otabor's pull-back found Sean Longstaff who rattled the crossbar from 12 yards.

And the upright worked in the Shrimpers' favour again 10 minutes later. Anthony Wordsworth's brilliant free-kick came back off a post and fell kindly for Marc-Antoine Fortune, who bundled in from close range.

But Blackpool hit back in first-half stoppage-time as Danny Philliskirk's strike was cleared off the line before Clark Robertson fired in the rebound from 12 yards.

Southend goalkeeper Mark Oxley produced a superb double save to deny Longstaff and then Kyle Vassell three minutes after the break.

Blackpool's Colin Daniel almost put his side in front after 75 minutes as he surged forward from left-back but fired just wide of the far post.

It was Southend, though, who came closest to a winner after 83 minutes as Jason Demetriou was sent clean through but struck the near post.

Blackpool FC

Clark Robertson’s third goal of the season saw Blackpool come back from behind for a point in a 1-1 draw with Southend United.

The defender struck in first-half added time to cancel out an early opener from visiting striker Marc Antoine Fortune.

Danny Philliskirk, who replaced Nathan Delfouneso as a first-half substitute against Charlton in midweek, was the only change to the starting line-up, while Max Clayton made an appearance on the bench.

It was almost the perfect start for Blackpool, who would have been in front immediately had it not been for Sean Longstaff’s strike rattling the crossbar. The on-loan Newcastle United man found space inside the area and was unfortunate not to convert from Viv Solomon-Otabor’s pass.

The visitors quickly responded to that warning, though, and took the lead in the 11thminute. Anthony Wordsworth’s free-kick came back off the post and was bundled in on the rebound by Marc Antoine-Fortune.

The visitors created a good opportunity to double their advantage minutes later, however Stephen McLaughlin nodded Ben Coker’s cross wide at the back post.

By the half-hour mark Southend were a little fortunate to find themselves still with 11 men on the field. Simon Cox, on a booking, caught Curtis Tilt late but only received a warning from the referee.

Joe Lumley was called into action to keep the score the deficit at just the one goal, with the on-loan QPR man at full stretch to push away a strike from Antoine Fortune.

With time ticking away prior to the interval, Clark Robertson found the net in added time to bring Blackpool level. The defender was quick to react after Danny Philliskirk’s effort was saved to score his third of the season.

Half-Time: Blackpool 1 Southend United 1

A fine double save from visiting ‘keeper Mark Oxley denied Sean Longstaff and then Kyle Vassell from giving Blackpool the lead shortly after the restart, as The Seasiders looked to firmly turn things around.

Vassell then had an opportunity from a tight angle when Jay Spearing nodded a clearance back into the danger area. Unfortunately, Pool’s number seven couldn’t keep his effort on target.

The Seasiders continued to press and see more and more of the ball in the opposition’s half, with Southend looking to utilise substitute Theo Robinson’s pace on the counter attack.

Colin Daniel did well to read the play and intercept the ball 35-yards out from goal with 15 minutes remaining, however his strike from distance flew just wide.

Kyle Vassell then had another attempt from an acute angle but was once again denied by Southend ‘keeper Mark Oxley.

That opportunity proved to be Kyle Vassell’s last bit of action, as manager Gary Bowyer brought on Dan Agyei for the striker. Armand Gnanduillet also replaced Sean Longstaff.

Though dominant, Blackpool were fortunate not to find themselves behind with six minutes to go. Southend right-back Jason Demetriou burst forward and watched his strike cannon back off the post prior to being cleared away.

In the end, both sides were left to settle for a share of the spoils.

Blackpool Gazette

Blackpool were forced to settle for a point as they were held to a 1-1 draw at home to Southend United.

The Shrimpers were the better side in the first half and opened the scoring on 11 minutes through striker Marc Antoine Fortune.

It appeared they would hold onto that lead until half-time but Clark Robertson equalised in stoppage time, stabbing home from close range for his third goal of the season.

But the Seasiders were much improved in the second period and had chances to claim all three points, but once again that lack of a clinical touch meant they were forced to settle for just the one. The two sides are separated by just the one point in the league table - and that showed as they fought out an evenly-contested battle.

7 ways you can bring the outdoors in to freshen up your home The great outdoors helps and heals us. Create a homely haven inspired by nature to combat stress and promote relaxation.

Sponsored by Carpetright The draw means Blackpool remain 14th, still seven points clear of the dropzone.

Blackpool were forced into making one change to their line-up from their midweek fixture; bringing Danny Philliskirk in for the missing Nathan Delfouneso.

Philliskirk impressed after replacing Delfouneso during the first half of Blackpool’s 1-0 win against Charlton Athletic on Tuesday night. That came after Delfouneso was stretchered off the pitch and rushed to hospital following a clash of heads with Charlton’s Lewis Page.

The 27-year-old was allowed home the same night and should be okay to return for the trip to MK Dons next week, but missed out today with concussion.

The Seasiders, clearly brimming with confidence from the midweek win, almost took the lead inside the first 30 seconds but the woodwork came to Southend’s rescue.

Viv Solomon-Otabor picked out Sean Longstaff inside the Southend box and he rattled the crossbar with his side-footed effort.

But the visitors responded well, dominating the early proceedings with some neat and tidy play before taking the lead on 11 minutes.

It came after Anthony Wordsworth’s superb free kick rebounded off the post into the path of Marc Antoine Fortune, who bundled home into the empty net.

Kyle Vassell wasted a good opportunity to level for Blackpool when he was adjudged to be onside when Solomon-Otabor’s ambitious effort deflected into his path inside the six-yard box, only for the striker’s touch to let him down.

Another good bit of play from Southend saw Stephen McLaughlin head wide after Ben Coker had hung up a cross for him at the back post.

Vassell got a shot off at goal from inside the box, with a deflection seeing it swerve just wide of the far post. Southend were given a big let-off just before the half-hour mark when Simon Cox, already on a booking, went over the ball and fouled Curtis Tilt.

But referee Andy Haines ignored the calls for a red card from the homem supporters, giving the Southend forward a stern talking-to instead.

Despite their quick start, Blackpool were very much second best for the majority of the first half and they almost found themselves two down shortly before the break.

Some neat play from the visitors saw Fortune gain a yard of space inside the box, but the striker’s curling effort was palmed away from the bottom corner by Joe Lumley with two strong hands.

Blackpool probably didn’t deserve to head into half-time level but that’s exactly what happened after Clark Robertson equalised in first-half stoppage time.

It came after Danny Philliskirk’s effort was saved on the goalline after Jimmy Ryan’s corner had caused havoc inside the Southend box, but Robertson made sure of it by drilling home from close range.

Southend keeper Mark Oxley denied Blackpool from taking the lead at the start of the second half as he made a superb double save to deny Longstaff first and Vassell on the rebound.

Blackpool kept up the pressure at the start of the second period and again came close through Vassell, who shot over the bar on the turn after Southend had failed to clear their lines from a corner.

The blizzard conditions failed to deter the Seasiders, who came close through Colin Daniel and Vassell in quick succession.

Southend hadn’t showed a great deal of endeavour in the second half.But with just seven minutes remaining, Blackpool were given a big let-off when Jason Demetriou hit the post after being sent through on goal.

The remainder of the game was a fairly uneventful one, as the match fizzled out with both sides settling for the draw.

Advertisement block