Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Blues In The News: Southend 3-2 Scunthorpe

29 January 2018

Take a look and see what various sections of the media had to say following Blues' 3-2 win over Scunthorpe United...

Southend Echo

SOUTHEND United started life under new manager Chris Powell with a dramatic 3-2 win against Scunthorpe United at Roots Hall last Saturday.

A far more spirited Shrimpers side seemed to be heading for a share of the spoils until Michael Turner netted an injury time winner to secure an exciting victory.

Blues were forced to work hard for the win and it was Scunthorpe who opened the scoring in the 12th minute when a right wing cross from Kevin van Veen was poorly defended at the far post by Jason Demetriou, enabling Tom Hopper to nip in and head home from close range via the inside of the left post.

The Shrimpers soon replied with Simon Cox headed a left wing cross from Michael Kightly inches wide of the right post before Marc-Antoine Fortune’s effort from a dangerous Kightly corner was well saved by Watson.

However, Kightly was not to be denied for long and in the 37th minute he levelled the scores with what appeared to be a fortuitous effort.

The winger cut in from the left hand side and delivered a deep cross which sailed over the head of Watson before hitting the back of the net via the inside of the right post.

Things then got enough better for Blues in the 53rd minute when Charlie Goode brought down Cox inches outside the penalty area.

And McLaughlin made the most of the opportunity as he thundered a low free-kick into the back of the net for his fourth goal of the season.

However, the Shrimpers were in front for just three minutes when failure to clear a right wing corner resulted in van Veen sending a close range shot into the top right hand corner of the net.

Southend immediately replied with Cox having a swerving long range shot tipped wide of the right post by Watson who then also pushed a 20 yard effort from Kightly wide of the target.

Moments later and, with Blues still pushing to regain the lead, the Shrimpers had strong penalty shouts waved away by referee Craig Hicks when Fortune appeared to be pulled back inside the area.

In a bid to make the breakthrough, Powell made his first change in the 83rd minute with Theo Robinson replacing Fortune in attack.

However, it was Scunthorpe who threatened next with Charlie Goode having a looping header nodded off the line by McLaughlin.

Seconds later and, with the game deep into stoppage time, Cameron Burgess was dismissed after being shown a second yellow card for a foul on Kightly.

And Blues were immediately able to take advantage as the resulting free-kick from McLaughlin was parried out by Watson enabling Turner to slide the ball home from a narrow angle to secure a vital victory.

Yellow Advertiser

Chris Powell’s managerial reign got off to the perfect start, last Saturday, as his new side overturned the form book by humbling promotion-chasing, ten men Scunthorpe.

Tom Hopper opened the scoring, early doors, with Michael Kightly equalising and Stephen McLaughlin firing the Blues ahead, only for Kevin van Veen to net.

Seconds after Cameron Burgess had been sent-off, Michael Turner sent the home crowd wild with his stoppage time winner, to leave the Shrimpers looking up the table.

Despite a keen Southend start, with the visitors on the back foot, the hosts found themselves a goal down after only 12 minutes.

A sloppy Turner clearance saw van Veen allowed too much time and space to cross. Then, the normally reliable, Jason Demetriou - facing his own goal - made a complete hash of his clearance, and the opportunist, Hopper, dived in to net from six yards out - his seventh goal of the season.

Stung into action, the Blues almost levelled - five minutes later - when the recalled Marc Antoine-Fortune was left holding his head in his hands when - somehow - Scunny keeper, Rory Watson, kept out his point-blank effort, from a Kightly flag-kick.

The Shrimpers kept up the pressure and were unlucky not to be back in the game - on the half-hour mark - when the diving Watson made a smart double save to thwart McLaughlin’s piledriver, before blocking Kightly’s follow-up.

Southend’s persistence finally did pay off when Kightly’s 37th minute cross deceived Watson and flew in via the far post.

With Kightly having almost doubled his goal tally, soon after the interval, with a wickedly swerving free-kick, on 53 minutes, McLaughlin went one better with an absolute belter of a set-piece that flew through a poorly-organized Scunny defensive wall and comprehensively beat the beleaguered Watson.

However, the Shrimpers’ joy was short-lived as they failed to clear their lines from a move initiated by Duane Holmes, and van Veen stunned the home crowd by expertly firing home into the top corner.

From thereon, both sides seemed satisfied with a point, with only Hakeeb Adelukan blasting over for the Iron, before McLaughlin was unable to trouble Watson with a long-range angled-drive.

However, Scunthorpe nearly stole the win a minute from time when an unmarked Cameron Goode on-target header was headed off the line by McLaughlin.

Deep into stoppage time, this exciting encounter took another twist when the unfortunate Burgess saw red for a second yellow card, after a cynical foul on the goalbound, man-of-the-match, Dru Yearwood.

In keeping with his earlier free-kick, McLaughlin let fly, with Watson pulling off a brilliant save, but unable to hold on to the Irishmans’ drive. Turner reacted quickest and bravely slid in and netted his second of the season.

Sky Sports

Chris Powell began his spell as Southend manager with a dramatic 3-2 win against Scunthorpe at Roots Hall.

Michael Turner struck in the second minute of stoppage time, shortly after Scunthorpe's Cameron Burgess was dismissed, to move the hosts four points clear of the relegation zone.

Former Southend player Powell was hired on Tuesday after former manager Phil Brown was placed on gardening leave following seven defeats in eight league games.

But it was Scunthorpe who opened the scoring after 12 minutes when Tom Hopper headed home from close range.

Powell's side hit back in the 37th minute when Michael Kightly cut in off the left flank and delivered a deep cross which flew into the back of the net via the inside of the right post.

And the Shrimpers went in front eight minutes into the second half when Stephen McLaughlin netted with a powerfully struck free-kick.

The lead was short-lived as Kevin van Veen netted from close range three minutes later.

But there was still drama to come and after Burgess received a second yellow card as the game entered added time, Turner slid home the winner after Rory Watson had pushed out a McLaughlin free-kick.

Scunthorpe United

Tom Hopper got the Iron off to a perfect start when he headed his side into the lead from close range, but Michael Kightly levelled the scores towards the end of the first half.

United then fell behind at the beginning of the second 45 minutes when Stephen McLaughlin slammed home a free-kick, but Kevin van Veen netted an equaliser just three minutes later.

However, Michael Turner slotted home a winner for Southend in stoppage time, shortly after Cameron Burgess had been sent off for receiving his second yellow card of the game.

Manager Graham Alexander made one change to the starting XI, which saw Cameron McGeehan start his first game for the Iron, replacing Neal Bishop in midfield.

The hosts had the first sighting of goal inside the opening three minutes after Simon Cox turned and struck from outside the area, but Rory Watson gathered the effort comfortably.

However, in the 12th minute, Hopper headed home for the Iron to take the lead. Van Veen latched onto a deep cross by Josh Morris to put the ball back into in the area, and after a poor clearance from a Southend defender, Hopper converted into the corner of the net.

The Shrimpers nearly got back into the game with an instant response three minutes later, but Cox’s header just went wide of the right post.

They were asking more questions of the Iron defence immediately after, but Watson made a terrific reflex save high to his right to deny Marc Antoine Fortune following a corner kick.

After a quiet spell in the match, Watson made an incredible double save in the 30th minute. He first got down low to palm out McLaughlin’s long-range effort before reacting quickly to get back on his feet to keep out Kightly, who raced into the box to get the rebound.

Seven minutes later, and Southend had their equaliser. Kightly swung in a deep cross from the left side, which curled to hit the back post before the ball crossed the line to put the two sides on level terms at the half time interval.

Kightly then looked to add to his earlier goal at the beginning of the second half, but his right-footed free-kick missed the target.

In the 53rd minute, the Shrimpers took a 2-1 lead. They won a free-kick on the edge of the box, which McLaughlin drilled past the wall and the goalkeeper Watson.

However, the Iron responded almost immediately after when van Veen smashed the Iron level. Duane Holmes showed great determination to win his side a corner, and after Wallace’s effort was blocked from the resulting set-piece, the ball fell to the Dutchman who drilled the ball into the top right corner of the net.

As the home side looked to regain their lead, Watson was forced into another smart save when Cox unleased a long shot. The goalkeeper dived to his left to push the ball behind for a corner.

The young shotstopper was called into action again, diving to his left once more. Kightly advanced with the ball and tried to curl the ball into the right of the goal, but the goalkeeper parried it wide.

Hakeeb Adelakun went close to scoring the Iron’s third of the match in the 75th minute, but his long-range strike went just over the crossbar.

The Iron went close again through Cameron Burgess, but his header flew wide of the right post.

They went even closer with one minute left on the clock. Charlie Goode met a corner with a looping header, but McLaughlin jumped to head the ball off the line.

In stoppage time, the Iron were reduced to ten men when Burgess was sent off for picking up his second yellow card of the game for a foul on Kightly.

From the resulting free-kick, McLaughlin drove in a free-kick, which was excellently parried by Watson, but centre-back Turner slide home at the far post as the ball squeezed past the goalkeeper to give the hosts all three points.

Scunthorpe Telegraph

The Iron had gone ahead through a Tom Hopper goal but Michael Kightly and Stephen McLaughlin strikes either side of half time gave the hosts the lead.

But Kevin van Veen immediately hit back for Scunthorpe and looked to have earnt Scunthorpe a point.

But Michael Tuner popped up in the 91 minute to give the Shrimpers their first win under new boss Chris Powell.

The Iron just made one change from the side that drew 1-1 with Doncaster, with Cameron McGeehan making his first league start, in place of the injured Neal Bishop.

There was also a place on the bench for fellow new signing Ryan Yates, despite him having a number of stitches in his hand.

Although both sides looked to attack in the early stages there was not too much rhythm to the opening 10 minutes.

It was Southend who certainly looked the more threatening when they came forward and Scunthorpe had to defend well to keep the scores goalless.

But it was the visitors who went ahead in the 12 minute with Hopper again getting himself on the scoresheet.

Kevin van Veen collected an overhit Josh Morris and the Dutchman’s ball back in caused panic in the Southend box, Jason Demetriou made a mistake of trying to clear and Hopper nodded in.

Both the home side were still proving to be a big threat going forward and were denied twice within the space of as many minutes.

Good defending from Cameron Burgess saw him head behind from nearly on the line and then from the resulting corner, Fortune forced a fine reflex save from Rory Watson, who clawed it away.

That seemed to give the home side the confidence to attack more roared on by a vociferous Roots Hall crowd.

They nearly drew level on the half hour and Scunthorpe had Watson to thank for pulling out a fantastic double save to keep Scunthorpe ahead.

Firstly he did well to get down to parry a 20-yard Stephen McLaughlin effort and then was up quickly to smother Kightly’s follow up as the ball squirmed free.

But Southend’s equaliser did arrive seven minutes later when a Kightly cross sailed over everyone bounced off the inside of the far post and in.

The start of the second half was a scrappy affair but it was the hosts who took the lead eight minutes in.

Charlie Goode committed a cynical foul on the edge of the box and McLaughlin stepped up to fire a shot through the wall to give the Shrimpers the lead.

But that lasted less than three minutes when the Iron hit back with an instant response.

Persistence from Duane Holmes won a corner and after a bit of a scramble in the box the ball fell to van Veen who slammed the ball home.

The hosts were still causing United plenty of problems and Scunthorpe again had Watson to thank for keeping them level.

Cox unleashed a 25-yard strike that looked to be heading for the top corner before Watson flung himself to tip the ball behind.

The game turned very scrappy after that but you felt there was still another goal in it during the closing stages.

Charlie Goode having a towering header cleared off the line by McLaughlin but Scunthorpe had to play the four minutes of injury time with 10 men when Cameron Burgess was sent off.

From that free kick Turner squeezed home a rebound at the near post after the initial set piece was parried.

Advertisement block