Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

5 Headlines From The Weekends Action

22 January 2018

Blues may not have been in action last weekend, but there was plenty of talking points in the league...

Here we take a look at five of the top headlines from the weekend.
Oxford sack Pep Clotet
The 40-year-old was dismissed following the club’s 2-1 defeat to Bury on Saturday.
The U’s have failed to win nine of their last 13 games in the league, including a 7-0 thrashing by league leaders Wigan Athletic.
A statement on the club website read “The board has taken the decision after much consideration, and in the best interests of Oxford United FC”
Pep Clotet took over Oxford United in July, with the move becoming his first managerial role in England, having been a coach alongside Gary Monk at Swansea and Leeds United.
The U’s are eight points of the play-off places as well as eight points above relegation and this season seems a mid-table finish for United.
Robbie Neilson leaves MK Dons
Milton Keynes Dons manager Robbie Neilson has left the League One side by mutual consent following the club’s 2-1 defeat to Northampton Town.
Neilson was appointed as Karl Robinson’s successor in December 2016, guiding the Dons to a 12th-place finish in 2016-17.
But a recent run of one win in 11 league games, including the weekends fixture, has seen the Dons fall into the relegation zone, one point below Blues.
Wigan stretch unbeaten run to 10 games
Wigan Athletic came from 1-0 down to beat Plymouth Argyle 3-1, ending their eight-match unbeaten run.
Plymouth took the lead from the spot in the 27th minute, after Chey Dunkley fouled Graham Carey.
The midfielder stepped up to take his penalty and coolly slotted it down the right hand side, sending the keeper the wrong way.
But the lead was short lived as Will Grigg brought the game level in the 29th minute.
Gavin Massey gave the visitors the lead deep into the first half.
Max Power provided a cross from a 69th minute corner which connected with the head of Dan Burn, making it 3-1.
Mattock’s late goal seals Rotherham win
Joe Mattock scored a last-gasp winner to seal all three points against play-off rivals Portsmouth.
Portsmouth were the more dominant side in the first half, with Kai Naismith getting close to scoring as he sliced the ball over the ball, followed by Brett Pitman’s header that went straight at Marek Rodak.
David Ball came close for Rotherham, but his shot was deflected wide.
The visitors piled on the pressure in the second half and Rotherham counteracted that when they brought on Michael Smith, the debutant had a golden chance when the ball fell to his feet, but a well-timed block denied the former Portsmouth man.
However, Smith played his part in beating his former club, by swinging a cross into the box which was met with a powerful header from Mattock.
Could this year be Bury’s great escape?
Bury played their first match on Saturday since the sacking of Chris Lucketti, 12 points from safety, rooted to the bottom of the table.
Many Shakers fans would have headed home being 1-0 down and with 10 minutes left on the clock. But those who stayed would have seen one of Bury’s best performance of the season.
James Henry had put Oxford in front on the stroke of half time.
On loan forward George Miller, who re-signed on Friday, came on in the 65th minute and gave the fans a home coming present.
Miller levelled the game in the 81st minute (scoring Bury’s first League One goal in over 15 hours of game time) when the forward knocked the ball past Simon Eastwood to equalise.
Harry Bunn scored the winner three minutes later, sparking vast celebrations amongst the travelling supporters.

Advertisement block