Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Bury 0-0 Southend

13 February 2018

Blues drew 0-0 against Bury at Gigg Lane in a game which they had opportunities to win, as the leagues two in form sides faced each other.

Chris Powell made two changes to Blues starting line-up away at Bury, with Freddie Ladapo and Shay Harrison coming in for Simon Cox and Marc Antoine Fortune.

Blues started the game brightly in the opening phases, as in the 2nd minute of the game Michael Timlin saw a 20-yard curling effort go just wide of Connor Ripley’s right hand post.

Moments later, Freddie Ladapo cut in from the right on the 5th minute, and curled an effort just wide of Ripley’s far post.

In the 24th minute the first real opening of the game fell to Freddie Ladapo, as some intricate footwork from Shay Harrison saw the Spurs loanee put Ladapo in on goal, however, the Palace loanee fired his effort straight at Ripley in the Bury goal.

Bury managed to pluck up a rare attack in the 35th minute, as Zeli Ismail, who looked to be the Shakers main threat, managed to work some space on the edge of the area, which was deflected just wide of Oxley’s right hand post.

In the 40th minute, Blues went close again, as this time following an interception by Jason Demetriou in the centre of the park, Dru Yearwood and Stephen McLaughlin played a neat one two, which was then laid off to the Blues striker Harrison, whose powerful drive towards the bottom right hand corner was gathered at the second attempt by Ripley.

Following an impressive first half display, Blues made a substitution, with Jermaine McGlashan coming on for Michael Kightly who looked to have received a knock.

However, it was Bury who started the second half the strongest, as George Miller was put in one on one against Oxley, however, the Bury strikers touch took him wide of the goal, and he was forced to chip the ball into the penalty area, where James Hanson met it, but could only header the ball straight into Oxley’s hands.

The Shakers went close again in the 52nd minute, as they won a corner on the left-hand-side which was crossed in towards Peter Clarke, whose effort looked goal bound, but for Stephen McLaughlin’s clearance off the goal line.

On the hour mark Blues went close to snatching a goal on the counter attack following an excellent individual run by Dru Yearwood, however, the midfielder dragged his effort just wide of Ripley’s right hand post.

In what was an evenly contested second half, Blues went close to scoring with just 13 minutes to go, as Harrison had a powerful effort from the edge of the penalty area parried away by Ripley, before Yearwood sliced the rebound over the crossbar.

Blues nearly nicked a late winner, as some brilliant hold up play by substitute Marc Antoine Fortune slipped Ben Coker down the by-line, Blues left back then cut inside, and saw his right footed effort tipped just wide of the goal and cleared to safety.

This draw mean that Blues manager Chris Powell is yet to see his side beaten, and will be looking to grab all three points against Portsmouth at Roots Hall on Saturday. 

Advertisement block