Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Blues In The News: Peterborough 0-1 Southend

5 February 2018

Take a look at what the media had to say following Blues' first win on the road since 28th October 2017...

Southend Echo

AFTER 97 days, eight games and 2,556 miles spent travelling across the country – Southend United finally secured success away from home again on Saturday.

An early penalty from Jason Demetriou saw the Shrimpers grind out a hard fought 1-0 win at Peterborough United as Chris Powell became the first permanent Blues boss since 1993 to win his first two games in charge.

And it was very much the togetherness of the team which secured a rare away triumph for the Shrimpers.

Southend headed into the weekend’s clash without a win on the road since seeing off Walsall in October.

Blues had suffered five successive defeats on their travels and have the worst defensive record away from home in the division, having conceded 33 goals in 14 games ahead of Saturday’s showdown.

But those concerning statistics were confined to the past during an incredibly spirited display from a reinvigorated Southend side who have now won back-to-back games for the first time since October.

In the past, Blues would have crumbled while under pressure and a soft underbelly would have been exposed by a Peterborough side packed full of dangerous players pushing for a place in the play-offs.

However, the arrival of Powell has clearly brought Blues closer together and, that more than anything else, was the main reason for Saturday’s success.

The Shrimpers continually hassled and harried their hosts in a bid to stop them playing out from the back and it was that impressive work-rate which ultimately led to them coming out on top.

Peterborough, of course, had their moments and Mark Oxley twice did well to deny Jack Marriott while the breaks also seemed to go Blues’ way.

There could be no denying the penalty decision after Posh goalkeeper Jonathan Bond clearly chopped down Stephen McLaughlin.

However, television replays seemed to suggest the hosts were rather unfortunate to have Andrew Hughes’ first half strike disallowed for offside.

Hughes had a second effort ruled out for offside late on as the Shrimpers survived 10 minutes of stoppage time to triumph.

The added on time was due to a nasty looking injury to defender John White, which marred Saturday’s success.

White’s no-nonsense approach in a more central role has been one of very few success stories for the Shrimpers this season.

The defender, who was stretchered off at London Road, deserved a regular run in the side far earlier in the season and will be a big miss during his lay-off.

White was replaced at the weekend by Anton Ferdinand, who has been criticised for his displays this season.

Ferdinand’s mobility has regularly been called into question but on Saturday he looked solid after his introduction and will now be looking to get back to his best.

That could prove to be key as Blues bid to build on Powell’s fine start, which has seen morale significantly boosted both on the pitch and in the stands.

More articles

The post-match celebrations spoke volumes about the improvements Powell has already been able to make as the team formed a huddle after the final whistle to toast their triumph.

Powell’s beaming smile and fist pump salutes were also greeted by huge cheers from the travelling Shrimpers supporters who are now enjoying watching their side once again.

Of course, it is still very early days in Powell’s tenure and feet must stay firmly on the ground at this stage.

But, after months of misery, the last two matches have been incredibly refreshing to watch.

Blues’ first clean sheet since the start of December was also another huge highlight after going 10 games without shutting out their opposition.

And in an age of changing club crests and identities, a new name would be quite apt at Roots Hall now too, Southend Reunited!

Yellow Advertiser

Chris Powell’s excellent start in the Southend hot seat continued, last Saturday, as Jason Demetriou’s first-half penalty ensured the Blues of their first away win since the end of October.

The Shrimpers’ bright opening was rewarded, on seven minutes, when Stephen McLaughlin’s enterprising run drew a foul from Posh keeper, Jonathan Bond.

Former Newcastle man, Steven Taylor, was the last man on the goal line, thus saving Bond from a straight red card.

Kicking towards a hostile home end, the undaunted Demetriou stepped up and netted his sixth of the season, sending Bond the wrong way.

Southend could have doubled their lead, only two minutes later, but Bond pulled off a smart save to deny Demetriou’s wickedly deflected effort, after good Dru Yearwood and McLaughlin approach play.

The Posh did their best to level, but Mark Oxley did well to make a clean catch from top scorer, Jack Marriott’s point-blank header, before Marcus Maddison’s cross-come-shot saw the gloveman make a smart block under pressure from Omar Bogle.

With half-time approaching, Yearwood was lucky to stay on the pitch for a crunching tackle on former Blue, Anthony Grant - with both players receiving lengthy treatment.

Seven minutes after the turnaround, John White was stretchered off after having tried - unsuccessfully - to block a clean-through Marriott - who saw his resulting effort well-saved by Oxley.

Southend replied and having seen Simon Cox go close, McLaughlin missed a presentable chance from Ben Coker’s 56th minute cross, with an angled drive that beat Bond, but also his far post.

Despite forcing several corners, Posh were lacking in ideas, with Southend always threatening on the break. And, it was Michael Kightly - having drawn a foul from Ryan Tafazolli - with a resulting yellow card - whose 69th minute free-kick flashed across the face the home goal - beating everyone.

Having put in an excellent shift, Marc Antoine-Fortune made way for new boy, Freddie Ladapo, and the striker nearly made an instant impression with a diving header, which flew only a few inches wide. And, Southend looked the likelier to add to their tally, with the former Crystal Palace hitman proving a handful.

But, due to White’s worrying injury, referee, Dean Whitestone signalled an eye-watering ten minutes stoppage time. The Shrimpers - though - often putting bodies on the line, managed to soak up late, intense Posh pressure, to leave Powell praising his players: “It was a very good performance. The players have given me everything - their application was outstanding. But, there is a tinge of sadness with John White’s injury.”

The former Shrimpers’ favourite added: “It was a great passage of play that lead to our penalty. Jason Demetriou then put it away really well. But, we - perhaps - should have gone on and got a second goal.”

He warned: “What the players are doing for me is first-class, but I shall always be demanding more. But, let’s hope we can go one better next week - although it will be tough, as we will be playing a very good team. But, we will be prepared.”

Powell revealed: “I’m pleased I’m back in the game. I never thought it would be here at Southend. Some might say it will spoil my legacy, but I want to enhance it. I know exactly the pitfalls as a manager, but if you do your job, do it well, do it diligently, get the crowd and the club behind you, then you can get to where you want to be.”

Matchwinner, Demetriou, added: “It certainly wasn’t a game for the purist. But, it’s possibly one of our best wins of the season. It was a great team performance.”

The Cyprus international revealed: “We know we are a good team, but have very much under-achieved this season. The new gaffer has changed things and got us going as a team. We’re certainly going in the right direction. The tempo has gone up and we are feeling the benefit. At the end of the game we were buzzing.”

“The new gaffer has come in with new ideas of getting the best out of the players. But, today everyone put in a shift. When seven or eight players are playing that well, then you’ve got a chance. But, it’s all about working hard and then the confidence comes.”

Southend entertain runaway league leaders, Wigan Athletic, this Saturday (kick-off 3pm), Demetriou concluded: “It’s two wins in two and it’s going to be tough next week - but the best time to play them is now. But, let’s build on these performances.”

BBC Sport

Chris Powell enjoyed a second-straight win since taking over as Southend United manager after an early Jason Demetriou penalty gave the Shrimpers victory at Peterborough United.

Demetriou fired in after just seven minutes after Peterborough goalkeeper Jonathan Bond caught the leg of Stephen McLaughlin inside the area.

Posh had a few good chances and would have levelled if League One top-scorer Jack Marriott had taken either a decent headed chance or two one-on-one opportunities either side of half-time, with visiting goalkeeper Mark Oxley denying the striker on all three occasions.

Southend central defender John White was carried off on a stretcher after injuring himself while attempting a tackle on Marriott, and - soon afterwards - Simon Cox and McLaughlin both narrowly fired wide for the visitors, who held on for a first away win since October.

Peterborough began the day just four points outside the play-offs but could not find a way past Oxley despite 10 minutes of additional time being added on in the second-half, largely due to White's injury.

Peterborough United

Grant McCann's men suffer home reverse to Southend United in Sky Bet League One.

Peterborough United missed an opportunity to close the gaps on the teams above them in the Sky Bet League One table after losing 1-0 to Chris Powell’s Southend United who made it back to back wins, claiming only their third away league win of the season in the process.

Stephen McLaughlin had the first shot of the game, but his low effort went wide of the far post from 20-yards. The visitors opened the scoring on six minutes, DEMETRIOUconverting from the spot after Jonathan Bond was adjudged to have felled McLaughlin in the box. Bond was cautioned by referee Dean Whitestone.

Bond did well to keep out a deflected Cox effort moments later as the visitors continued to be on the front foot in the early exchanges. Jack Marriott saw a header saved by Oxley after a fine delivery from George Cooper on the left. Oxley had two attempts to gather a curler from Maddison moments later after the winger provided some decent trickery to beat his man.

Cooper curled a free-kick over the top from 30-yards after Maddison had been tripped following a pacy break. Yearwood was lucky to get away with just a caution after a shocking tackle on Anthony Grant on 34 minutes.

Hughes had the ball in the back of the net on 36 minutes after he latched onto a fine Maddison pass, but the assistant referee had raised his flag and the ‘goal’ was chalked off for offside. Maddison picked out Marriott on 40 minutes, but after a bobbly first touch, his shot was smothered by keeper Oxley.

Cox was incredibly fortunate not to score the own goal of all time on  47 minutes as he raced back towards his own goal – he fired the ball at his own goal with keeper Oxley thankfully for the Shrimpers well placed. Oxley had more to do less than 60 seconds later after a wonderful pass from Maddison picked out Marriott, the keeper doing well to deny the top scorer after racing from his goal.

Southend were forced into a change following that chance, John White stretchered off with Anton Ferdinand his replacement. Cox was an inch away from making it 2-0 on the break, his curler had Bond beaten but it also somehow went wide.

McLoughlin then fired wide on 56 minutes after more good work from Cox as Posh were punished for a slack header clear. Goalkeeper Oxley did well to beat away a long-range strike from Forrester on 66 minutes. Grant McCann made a double change with 20 minutes to play, Danny Lloyd and Junior Morias the men introduced.

Teenager Leo Da Silva Lopes was the final substitution used by the Posh management, debutant Bogle the man to be replaced. Ten minutes of added time was indicated by the fourth official for the injury to White and multiple examples of time wasting from the visitors.

Hughes had the ball in the back of the net again deep into stoppage time, but once more the assistant referee had his flag raised for offside.

Peterborough Telegraph

Peterborough United missed a great chance to close the gap on the League One promotion favourites by losing at home to a Southend side with a terrible away record.

A seventh-minute penalty from Jason Demetriou separated the sides as Posh suffered a sixth home defeat of a frustrating season.

It was just Southend’s third win on their travels, and a first since October. Posh striker Jack Marriott takes on Michael Turner of Southend.

Posh huffed and puffed, but in truth created very little despite starting with an adventurous formation which included new striker Omar Bogle.

Referee Dean Whitestone was booed off at the end by home supporters, but his curious display was hardly the reason for the defeat. The penalty decision looked spot on for a start.

Posh pleased traditionalists at least by starting with a 4-4-2 formation including two atacking winger as well as Bogle, but they spent the opening 20 minutes all at sea against a confident visiting side.

Southend found joy down the left as Ben Coker’s surging runs from full-back often went untracked by Marcus Maddison, but the seventh minute goal arrived from the other flank as a simple pass into the area led to an initially hesitant Jonathan Bond tripping up Stephen McLaughlin.

Demetriou converted the spot-kick and Posh did well to survive a rocky period while they worked themselves into the game. And once Maddison started getting on the ball Posh began to threaten.

One fine pass was superbly converted by left-back Andrew Hughes, but celebrations were ruined by an offside flag. Jack Marriott forced a smothering save from Southend keeper Mark Oxley after another Maddison pass.

Marriott had earlier headed a fine cross from George Cooper straight at Oxley. Southend should have been down to 10 before the break after Dru Yearwood clattered into Anthony Grant just moments after he somehow escaped a caution for hauling down Hughes as he was about to enter the penalty area.

Posh had an immediate chance to draw level when a long clearance from Maddison found Marriott behind the Southend defence. Marriott went for power and his shot was saved by Oxley.

Posh then forced three corners in quick succession, all of which were delivered into dangerous areas, but then it all fell horribly flat. Posh made substitutions that made little sense (Junior Morias played in midfield for 10 minutes) and they couldn’t re-gather any momentum, not helped by a series of baffling decisions from the officials.

Even 10 minutes off added time couldn’t save Posh.

Hughes scored again from a Maddison chip, but he looked well offside, a decision contested by McCann, presumably after taking on board video evidence.

Advertisement block