Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Bradford 0-2 Southend

28 April 2018

Blues won three games in a row for the first time since Chris Powell’s opening three fixtures of his tenure with an excellent 2-0 win against Bradford City at Valley Parade.

Chris Powell made one change from Tuesday’s 3-0 win against Oldham at Boundary Park with Marc Antoine Fortune coming in for Shayon Harrison.  

The first notable effort of the game came from Callum Guy in the 18th minute, who curled a shot from around 20 yards towards the top left-hand corner of the goal, however, Blues goalkeeper Mark Oxley pulled off a superb save and tipped the ball around the post to deny the Bradford midfielder.

Both sides cancelled each other out for much of the first half. Blues went close to taking the lead in the 34th minute, as Dru Yearwood received the ball in the centre of the pitch around 30 yards from goal, before beating his marker, however, his effort was deflected just wide of Colin Doyle’s top left corner.

On the stroke of half time Bradford nearly took the lead, as a quickly taken free kick saw Alex Gillead run down the wing and fire a low ball across the box, which Dom Poleon attempted to backheel which resulted in a goal mouth scramble that Blues somehow managed to clear.

The second half started in brighter fashion than the first half in general, as Bradford looked to try and make their home advantage count. The Bantams went close in the 47th minute as Tony McMahon played a corner out to Matty Lund who was free at the edge of the box, who scuffed his effort towards Nathaniel Knight Percival who reacted quickly and glanced a header just wide of the left-hand post.

In 55th Mark Oxley pulled off two world class saves, as the Bantams swung a free kick in from the left-hand side, which Timothee Dieng met, and forced a superb reflex save, before the ball dropped to Dominic Poleon from point blank range, and somehow Oxley flew across his goal to save the rebound.

Blues went close to taking the lead in the 64th minute, as McLaughlin whipped in a corner from the right-hand side towards the near post, which Mantom flicked on and flashed past the far post.

Sam Mantom would go close again in the 71st minute, as McLaughlin crossed the ball from the right wing to the edge of the penalty area where Mantom tried to place an effort into the left-hand side of the goal, but, Bantams goalkeeper Doyle tipped the ball around the post.

Blues took the lead from the following corner through John White, as Bradford failed to clear their lines, and Michael Kightly swung an inviting cross into the penalty area, which White bulleted into the bottom right-hand corner to give Colin Doyle no chance in the Bantams goal.

Shortly after White’s opener, things went from bad to worse for the home side, as they were picked off on the counter attack by Blues, as Mantom won the ball in the centre of the park and laid a pass off to Dru Yearwood who carried the ball deep inside the Bradford half, before threading the ball through to Marc Antoine Fortune, who’s effort went into the right-hand side of the goal courtesy of a big deflection.

This completed an excellent 7 days which has seen Blues win three games in a row, with three clean sheets for the first time this season. Blues face Bristol Rovers on the final day of the Sky Bet League One season at Roots Hall, as Powell’s side look to finish this season off in fine form.

Advertisement block