Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Blues In The News: Bradford 0-2 Southend

30 April 2018

Blues extended their winning run to three games with a 2-0 away win against play-off chasing Bradford City...

Following the result, we look at how various sections of the media reported on the game.

Southend Echo

TWO goals in the space of five second-half minutes saw Southend United record their second away win of the week last Saturday.

The Shrimpers had gone six games without a victory on the road prior to Tuesday night’s 3-0 win at Oldham Athletic on Tuesday night.

But goals from John White and Marc-Antonie Fortune handed the Shrimpers another triumph on their travels at play-off pushing Bradford City.

Yellow Advertiser

Southend strode to a second away win in four days, thanks to a second half two-goal John White and Marc Antoine-Fortune salvo, last Saturday.

A scrappy start saw the game spring into life, on 18 minutes, when Mark Oxley showed his mettle with a fine tip-around from Callum Guy’s stinging drive.

The Shrimpers then enjoyed a concerted spell of pressure, with Sam Mantom twice denied, before Theo Robinson - soon to replaced by Michael Kightly - failed to make contact from a Stephen McLaughlin corner.

Southend went for broke and with Mantom having forced Colin Doyle into a desperate save, after clever Fortune play, City failed to clear Kightly’s flag-kick and McLaughlin stood the ball up for White to net with a stunning 73rd minute header.

With the bit between their teeth, Southend sensed glory and the lively Dru Yearwood was denied by a last-ditch block.

But, there was no stopping Yearwood - one of the success stories of the season - who turned provider on 78 minutes. Having lead the counter attack through the heart of the Bantams’ defence, the schemer played in Fortune, whose powerful, deflected effort looped into the net over a stranded Doyle.

Sky Sports

Two goals in six second-half minutes earned Southend a 2-0 win at Bradford.

It was their third win in eight days and ended Bradford's four-match unbeaten run.

Southend went in front in the 72nd minute after home goalkeeper Colin Doyle made his first serious save of the match, diving to turn San Mantom's shot away for a corner.

Bradford did not properly clear the danger and, when Stephen McLaughlin returned the ball into the goalmouth, skipper John White headed the visitors into the lead.

Southend went further ahead in the 78th minute following a swift breakaway after a Bradford attack broke down.

Dru Yearwood raced to the edge of the home penalty area before playing the ball out to Marc-Antoine Fortune on the left and his right-foot shot hit defender Nat Knight-Percival before looping into the far corner of the net.

Bradford City

Simon Grayson's Bantams were left to rue what might have been after falling to defeat against Southend United in their penultimate home fixture of the campaign.

After going close on more than one occasion with the game still goalless, City then conceded two second half goals in the final quarter of the match to condemn them to defeat.

Dominic Poleon - a first half substitute for the injured Kai Bruenker - was denied in two goal-mouth scrambles either side of the break before Southend opened the scoring.

The Shrimpers broke the deadlock thirteen minutes from the end when skipper John White guided a header into the corner from a testing Stephen McLaughlin cross.

With City pushing for a leveller, Southend then doubled their advantage on the break just five minutes later.

After a surging run forward, Dru Yearwood fed the ball out to Marc-Antoine Fortune, who saw his side-footed effort from inside the box deflect up off Nathaniel Knight-Percival and loop into the net over the helpless Colin Doyle.



Telegraph & Argus

CITY’S faint play-off hope disappeared tamely with a poor home defeat against Southend.

Two second-half goals from the Shrimpers ended the four-game unbeaten run as the Bantams fizzled out.

City lost Kai Bruenker inside the first 15 minutes after the striker was stretchered off following an awkward fall.

Callum Guy, again City’s best player, nearly broke the deadlock three minutes later with a curling shot that was well tipped away by keeper Mark Oxley.

Bruenker’s replacement Dominic Poleon had a backheel blocked in front of goal just before the break – and then missed a glorious chance in the second half.

Timothee Dieng’s header was parried by Oxley, who then thwarted Poleon’s follow-up from barely two yards out. Poleon’s miserable day was summed up when he was later subbed.

Southend were the much better side after the break and started to have a go.

Colin Doyle denied Simon Cox but the visitors struck from the corner as John White nodded home.

And the City keeper had no chance with the second goal, Marc-Antoine Fortune’s shot looping off Nathaniel Knight-Percival and into the net.

Advertisement block