Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Blues In The News: Rochdale

4 September 2017

Reaction to the 0-0 with Rochdale...

Southend Echo

SOUTHEND United were forced to settle for their third League One draw in succession after being held to a goalless stalemate by 10 man Rochdale at Roots Hall this afternoon.

Dale had skipper Ian Henderson red carded in the 50th minute for a late foul on Stephen Hendrie.

But the Shrimpers – who missed a first half penalty when Simon Cox was denied by Brendan Moore – were unable to make a late breakthrough despite the return of Nile Ranger.

Yellow Advertiser

SOUTHEND UNITED manager, Phil Brown, was frustrated that his side were unable to take all three points after Rochdale were reduced to ten men following the sending off of their captain, Ian Henderson.

However, with such a lengthy injury list, the Blues boss was thrilled with the clean sheet that saw his side record their third successive Sky Bet League one draw.

Speaking after the goalless Roots Hall stalemate, Brown said: “Ten men doesn’t automatically guarantee you three points, you still have to play in a certain way and I think we became one dimensional when Ranger came on.

Nile Ranger made his first appearance since being released from prison as Southend were held to a goalless draw by 10-man Rochdale.
The former Newcastle striker, 26, was released last month after being jailed for eight months in May after admitting online banking fraud.
Ranger came on as a 53rd-minute substitute in place of Marc-Antoine Fortune but was unable to help Southend make the breakthrough against a Rochdale side who had skipper Ian Henderson sent off five minutes into the second half for a late challenge on Stephen Hendrie.

Rochdale AFC

Ten-man Dale earned a valuable point against Southend United, drawing 0-0 as Brendan Moore saved a penalty in first-half stoppage time at Roots Hall.

Moore denied Simon Cox from the spot after Joe Rafferty was deemed to held Ryan Leonard in the area, and Dale were reduced to ten men when Ian Henderson was given a straight red card for a dangerous tackle, despite winning the ball.

Rochdale Online

Rochdale goalkeeper Brendan Moore saved a first half penalty to help earn his side a point despite playing 40 minutes with just ten men after Ian Henderson was sent off early in the second half. Moore got down well to his right to tip away Simon Cox’s penalty in first half stoppage time after a Joe Rafferty foul.

Advertisement block