Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Five Headlines From The Weekend

23 October 2017

We take a look at five of the biggest headlines in League One from over the weekend...

Fifth time lucky for Plymouth

Clubs occasionally need to call on their second-choice goalkeeper when their first choice is injured - but two hasn't been enough for Plymouth Argyle this season.

The Leagues bottom club used their fifth different goalkeeper of the season for Saturday's trip to AFC Wimbledon.

NorwichCity's Remi Matthews was signed on an emergency loan on Friday after injuries to three senior stoppers meant youth team keeper Michael Cooper, 18, made his debut from the bench against Blackburn on Tuesday.

The latest change proved a blessing as Matthews shone in Plymouth's 1-0 win at Kingsmeadow.

A rare clean sheet helped Derek Adam’s side end a run of 12 league matches without a win.

Welcome to full-time management...

After winning four of his five games as caretaker manager and signing a two-year deal to officially become the new Oldham boss, Richie Wellens may have been hoping for a straightforward first game in full charge.

A thrilling 4-4 draw at Milton Keynes Dons welcomed the former LeicesterCity midfielder into full-time managerial life, and pulse rates will have been high.

Wellens' side were 4-2 up with eight minutes remaining, but late goals from the hosts' Aidan Nesbitt and Ed Upson ensured the points were shared.

A quick impact

Simon Church moved to Scunthorpe on a short-term deal last Friday and just 24 hours later he was named on their bench for the visit of Peterborough.

With the hosts 1-0 down, on came the former Reading man and he played his part in an impressive turnaround, winning a penalty as they netted twice late on to win 2-1.

Shrewsbury stay unbeaten at top

Shrewsbury stayed top of the table after a late header from Aristote Nsiala gave them a 1-0 win over Fleetwood.

It looked like the Shrews were set to be frustrated before Nsiala nodded in from a corner with just two minutes left.

Rotherham recover for 3-3 draw

Rotherham recovered from being 3-1 down to earn a 3-3 draw with Oxford United in an action-packed game at the Kassam Stadium.

Joe Newell volleyed the Millers in front on 20 minutes after a poor defensive header by Canice Carroll.

But the U's stormed back to lead 3-1, despite missing a penalty.

Former Blues player Jack Payne fired into the bottom corner to level 60 seconds after Newell's strike.

Josh Ruffels then beat goalkeeper Marek Rodak at his near post on the half-hour to fire Oxford in front.

However, the U's did go two goals in front after 40 minutes when Curtis Nelson stabbed home at a corner, only for Ryan Williams to make it 3-2 from 12 yards a minute before half-time.

Rotherham striker Kieffer Moore lobbed onto the bar in the second half before Moore converted Williams' left-wing cross on 78 minutes to earn a draw.

Advertisement block