Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Blues In The News: Wigan Athletic

16 October 2017

Take a look at what the media had to say about our 3-0 defeat to Wigan Athletic on Saturday...

Southend Echo

TEN-MAN Southend United slumped to a 3-0 defeat at high-flying Wigan Athletic this afternoon.

The Latics went ahead with an early effort from Michael Jacobs before scoring twice in the final six minutes to see off a Shrimpers side who had Jermaine McGlashan sent off in the 59th minute.

Yellow Advertiser

SOUTHEND United manager, Phil Brown, was left frustrated after the Blues slipped to their second successive Sky Bet League One away defeat as high-flying Wigan Athletic recorded a 3-0 success at the DW Stadium.

Sky Sports

Goals from Michael Jacobs, Nick Powell and Ivan Toney sent Wigan to the top of Sky Bet League One on goal difference thanks to a convincing 3-0 victory over Southend.

Although Powell and Toney's goals came in the last six minutes, the scoreline in no way flattered the home side, who were head and shoulders above their opponents even before Jermaine McGlashan was sent off on the hour mark for a two-footed lunge on Callum Elder.

Wigan Athletic

Wigan Athletic extended their winning league run to four games this afternoon as they beat Southend United at the DW Stadium.

Michael Jacobs, who missed out at Scunthorpe last weekend through injury, put Latics ahead after just eight minutes when his strike from distance deflected past visiting keeper Mark Oxley.

United were reduced to 10 men on the hour as Jermaine McGlashan was given a straight red card for a poor challenge on Callum Elder.

Nick Powell continued his fine form in front of goal with a second in the 84th minute before substitute Ivan Toney made it three moments later.

Wigan Today

It was a lucky 13th game of the season for Wigan Athletic, who took over leadership of League One thanks to a comfortable 3-0 victory over Southend.

Latics had only led 1-0 heading into the last 10 minutes, thanks to Michael Jacobs’ heavily-deflected effort inside the opening quarter.

But they could and should have been out of sight after dominating the vast majority of the encounter.

Wigan’s cause was helped on the hour mark when Jermaine McGlashan was sent off for a two-footed challenge on Callum Elder.

And they eventually secured their victory with eight minutes to go when Nick Powell sprung the offside trap before rounding Southend goalkeeper Mark Oxley and slipping the ball into an empty net.

Advertisement block