Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Blues In The News: Doncaster Rovers

9 October 2017

Take a look at what the media had to say about our 4-1 loss to Doncaster Rovers on Saturday...

Southend Echo

SOUTHEND United conceded four goals in just 11 minutes to suffer a depressing and disappointing 4-1 defeat at Doncaster Rovers this afternoon.

Blues – who appeared to have skipper Anton Ferdinand sent off after the final whistle – went in front in the first half with Anthony Wordsworth heading home.

But Rovers hit back to secure their first home win of the season with midfielder Ben Whitehead bagging a hat-trick.

Yellow Advertiser

Phil Brown’s Shrimpers were blown away by a four-goal blast in a mad, eleven-minute spell, either side of the break, last Saturday.

Things looked good for the Blues, after Anthony Wordsworth had nodded home. But, John Marquis levelled on the stroke of half-time, before Ben Whiteman hit a hat-trick in the first eleven minutes of a nightmare second-half.

To complete a forgettable afternoon, United skipper, Anton Ferdinand was shown the red card seconds after the final whistle.

Sky Sports

Ben Whiteman scored a 10-minute hat-trick to help Doncaster come from behind to beat Southend 4-1 and record their first home win in League One this season.

Southend took the lead when Anthony Wordsworth headed home after Niall Mason cleared off the line for Doncaster. Doncaster hit back in first-half stoppage time when John Marquis poked home from close range after excellent work from Tommy Rowe.

The Sheffield United loanee scored his first after 47 minutes when he fired in after a James Coppinger free-kick hit the bar. He then extended the lead with a stunning volley from just outside the area. By 57 minutes, Whiteman had his hat-trick when he fired home from the penalty spot after Michael Timlin fouled Alfie May.

Doncaster Rovers

Ben Whiteman stole the show as his 10 minute second-half hat-trick ensured that Rovers came from behind to pick up their first home win in Sky Bet League One of the 2017/18 season.

The visitors started brightly, and had the game’s first chance inside the opening minute.

Against the run of play, however, the visitors took the lead. Another ball over the top was met by Ranger once again, and although his header was blocked on the line by Niall Mason, Anthony Wordsworth, who was controversially still on the pitch after lashing out at Jordan Houghton, headed home to give Southend the lead.

On the stroke of half-time though, the goal that Rovers deserved did come, much to the relief of the home fans.

Rovers came out firing in the second half, and immediately went in front.
Marquis was fouled just outside the area and Coppinger’s free kick smashed against the bar, however the ball fell to Whiteman who struck home in to the empty net from 12 yards out and give Rovers the lead.

The lead was extended just three minutes later, and in superb fashion, it was Whiteman who stole the show.

A free kick from the half-way line was pumped in by Coppinger, and although the ball was headed out, it was straight to Whiteman who was lurking just outside the box and fired a half-volley off the underside of the bar and into the back of the net.

May’s superb run into the Shrimpers’ box was halted by Ferdinand, who tripped the striker and left the on-loan Sheffield United man to complete his hat-trick.

The midfielder duly obliged from 12 yards out to send Oxley the wrong way, and scored his third goal in the space of 10 minutes to extend the Rovers’ lead even further.

Advertisement block