Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Billericay 7-3 Southend

24 October 2017

Hat-tricks from Billy Bricknell and Jake Robinson helped Billericay beat Southend 7-3 at the AGP Arena and knock Blues out of the BBC Essex Senior Cup at the 3rd Round stage.

An experimental Blues side found themselves 1-0 down in just the fourth minute when Billy Bricknell was found at the far post before Joe Ellul looped the ball back across goal for Jake Robinson to tap in. 

Southend came close to hitting back immediately however when Jack Bridge picked off a Jermaine Pennant cross-field pass before teeing up Theo Robinson who smashed to frame of the goal

But in a lightning start for the home side, they went 2-0 up inside nine minutes as Nathan Bishop failed to claim Ellul’s header, dropping the ball at the feet of Bricknell to bundle home.

Blues would reduce the arrears shortly after when two of Southend’s more experienced players combined with Jermaine McGlashan crossing for Nile Ranger who finished expertly.

Having gotten a foothold, Blues fell two goals behind again when Elvis Bwomono was adjudged to have fouled Andre Olukanmi in the area with Bricknell confidently dispatching the spot-kick.

As half-time loomed, Bricknell had a chance to wrap up his hat-trick as the ball bounced around the Southend penalty area but, after numerous attempts on goal, Southend managed to clear.

But with the last kick of the half, Southend should have grabbed a goal back as Amadou Ba beat the offside trap, teeing up Robinson who somehow managed to miss the target with the goal gaping. 

The second half began very much in the same vein as the first with a goal apiece for either side coming inside the first eight minutes.

Southend were first to draw blood in the second half when Bridge was brought down inside the penalty for the game’s second penalty with Ba powering the ball home from 12-yards.

Two minutes later though and Billericay restored their two-goal advantage as Bricknell completed his hat-trick, calmly chesting the ball down before smashing the ball beyond a motionless Bishop.

Robinson was replaced just after the hour mark by youngster Norman Wabo and he made an immediate impact by drilling the ball past Jack Giddens within two minutes of his introduction.

Billericay, however, would kill off any chance of a Southend comeback by scoring two goals in quick succession to all but end Blues’ involvement in this year’s BBC Essex Senior Cup.

Jake Robinson would score his second and the home side’s fifth of the game as he got on the end of a low cross from Louie Theophanous to poke the ball into the bottom corner.

Just over two minutes later and Daniel Walker made the game safe as he carried the ball from right to left before drilling home from just outside the 18-yard box to make it six for the home side.

Not to be outdone by his strike partner, Jake Robinson rounded off the scoring by grabbing his hat-trick 10 minutes from time as he flicked the ball in at the near post from a Jermaine Pennant corner.

Billericay Town XI: Giddens, Urquhart, Konchesky (C), Ellul, Paine, Deering (Theophanous 56’), Walker, Pennant, Olukanmi, Robinson, Bricknell (Chambers 64’). Subs Not Used: Julian, Waldren, Swaine

Blues XI: Bishop, Bwomono, Matsuzaka (C), Pianim, Cotton, McGlashan (Phillips 75’), Yearwood, Klass, Bridge, Robinson (Wabo 64’), Ranger (Ba 25’). Subs Not Used: Curran, Clifford

Referee: Robert Whitton

Assistants: Lukas Wood & Steven Matt


Billericay Town: Jake Robinson 4’, 71’, 80’, Billy Bricknell 9’, (p)24’, 53’, Daniel Walker 73’

Southend United: Nile Ranger 16’, Amadou Ba (p)51’, Norman Wabo 66’

Yellow Cards:

Billericay Town: None

Southend United: Jack Bridge 33’

Attendance:  1,210

Advertisement block