Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Blues In The News: Southend 1-1 Oxford

27 November 2017

Here's what the media had to say about Blues' 1-1 draw with Oxford...


Southend Echo

SOUTHEND United were held to their second 1-1 draw in quick succession as Wes Thomas’ first half equaliser secured Oxford United a share of the spoils at Roots Hall this afternoon.

Simon Cox fired the Shrimpers in front after just 19 minutes but Thomas’ effort just three minutes meant the game ended all square.

Blues – who also drew 1-1 with MK Dons on Tuesday - close to taking an early lead when Michael Kightly worked his way past two or three Oxford defenders before seeing his goalbound shot blocked by his own team-mate Cox.

Yellow Advertiser

PHIL BROWN was once again left frustrated after his Southend United side dropped yet more Sky Bet League One points as Oxford United grabbed a share of the spoils at Roots Hall Stadium.

Simon Cox gave the Blues a nineteenth-minute advantage, knocking in from close range after Stephen McLaughlin had picked him out. However, the U’s swiftly restored parity when Wes Thomas got the better of Anton Ferdinand before beating goalkeeper, Mark Oxley, with a cool finish.

Michael Turner and Nile Ranger both saw efforts chalked off as Southend looked to end a run of three league outings without a victory and Brown pulled no punches in his assessment as his side slipped further away from the coveted play-off places.


Sky Sports

Wes Thomas' first-half equaliser saw Oxford secure a 1-1 draw at Southend.

The Shrimpers took the lead in the 19th minute when a fine left-wing cross from Stephen McLaughlin was tapped home by Simon Cox from close range.

But the U's hit back just three minutes later with Thomas brushing aside a weak challenge from Southend skipper Anton Ferdinand to score.

The Shrimpers came close to going back in front in the 41st minute when Josh Wright sent a 20-yard volley against the crossbar but the U's Josh Ruffels then saw a similar effort bounce back off the woodwork just before half-time.

After the break, Thomas fired wide of the right post before former Southend midfielder Jack Payne saw his goalbound effort blocked by Jason Demetriou.

James Henry then also sent a 20 yard shot inches wide of the target for the U's before Southend pushed forward with Wright firing wide of the right post from six yards while Michael Turner and Nile Ranger both had efforts ruled out for offside.


Oxford United

Wes Thomas's clinical finish earned Oxford United a point at Southend this afternoon. Trailing to a Simon Cox goal, the U's hit back swiftly to pick up a useful point at a ground that has never been a happy hunting ground.

There was a full league debut for the very impressive Xemi Fernandez, who almost scored in just the second minute with a low shot saved by home keeper Mark Oxley, who followed that up by denying James Henry from the rebound. However, the pre-match plans were thrown out of the window in the seventh minute when Joe Rothwell went down and limped off, to be replaced by Alex Mowatt. The luckless U’s have had more than their fair share of injuries this season but they rallied after this latest setback and Mowatt’s first action was to rattle the bar from a Henry cross as the U’s pressed for the opener.

Instead it came at the opposite end. Southend defended their own first effort well when Simon Cox got in the way of a Michael Kightly drive after 15 minutes but on 19 were in front from a simple goal. A raking ball to the left picked out Stephen McLaughlin behind the United back line and his well-struck cross flew across the six-yard box for a sliding Cox to force home from close range.

Fortunately it didn’t take United long to get back on level terms. With both defences pressing high there was space in behind them both and on 21 minutes the home defence were like deer caught in the headlights as the irrepressible Ricardinho slipped the ball beyond them. Thomas is expert in those situations and slipped the ball beyond Oxley for his ninth goal of the season*.

Oxford Mail

WES Thomas’s eighth goal of the season earned a rare point for Oxford United at Roots Hall.

The U’s top-scorer coolly finished from Ricardinho’s through ball to equalise just two minutes after Simon Cox had put Southend United in front.

Neither side looked particularly convincing defensively, so it was a surprise there were no goals after the 21st minute.

Both sides hit the crossbar, while United’s strong start to the second half was followed by the Shrimpers having two goals disallowed for offside.

While it was not quite the result the U’s would have wanted before leaving for their warm-weather training camp in Spain tomorrow, a point was welcome against a side who had beaten them in 11 of the last 15 meetings.

Advertisement block