Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Blues In The News: MK Dons 1-1 Southend

22 November 2017

Here’s what the media had to say about our 1-1 draw with MK Dons…

Southend Echo

A TALE of two contrasting penalties saw Southend United have to settle for a 1-1 draw at MK Dons tonight.

Shrimpers midfielder Josh Wright saw his early spot-kick saved by Dons goalkeeper Lee Nicholls but the hosts’ Kieran Agard had no such difficulties in the second half.

The striker’s clinical effort cancelled out Stephen McLaughlin’s opener for Blues and ensured a game the visitors dominated for large spells ended all-square.

Southend - who struck the woodwork twice late on - missed their penalty after just five minutes when referee Tim Robinson pointed to the spot after adjudging Scott Wootton to have pulled the shirt of Michael Turner.

Sky Sports

Kieran Agard netted his third goal in two games to salvage a 1-1 draw for MK Dons against Southend.

Stephen McLaughlin had opened the scoring for Phil Brown's side before the break with his third goal of the season after Josh Wright missed a penalty for the visitors after just four minutes.

But the hosts were awarded a spot-kick of their own midway through the second period, Agard finding the net from the spot to rescue MK a point.


MK Dons

MK Dons and Southend United shared the spoils at Stadium MK, with Kieran Agard on target once again from the penalty spot.

Josh Wright missed an early penalty for the Shrimpers, who then took a first-half lead through Stephen McLaughlin's terrific long-range effort.

However, the man who rescued a point at the weekend - Agard - once again showed his composure to convert a 76th-minute spot-kick in front of the Cowshed, making it five unbeaten for Robbie Neilson's side.

It took just three minutes for the game to have its first talking point - a penalty awarded following a free-kick delivered into the area, although there were few inside Stadium MK who seemed to know what the foul was for.

Nonetheless, Wright stepped up to take the spot kick but the forward - who missed a penalty at Stadium MK earlier this season while playing for Gillingham - was denied by a well-timed dive from Nicholls, which kept the scores level.

It was the visitors who looked the more likely to break the deadlock and in the 27th minute they did open the scoring - after a quick breakaway, McLaughlin received a pass from Fortune and fired in to the top left-hand corner of the net.

An even better chance on goal fell the way of McLaughlin in stoppage-time but, after latching onto a through-ball, the Shrimpers man couldn’t beat Nicholls, who made a terrific one-on-one save to keep the deficit at a single goal going into the break.

The Dons’ best chance of the match to date came in the 65th minute when Gilbey saw a low drive deflected just wide of the left post from the edge of the area. From the resulting corner, Nesbitt drilled wide with a strike of his own.

The home supporters inside Stadium MK continued to urge their side on and with a quarter of an hour remaining they were handed a lifeline after Mark Oxley crashed into Aneke inside the area, with the ball already way past the goalkeeper.

Agard stepped up to take the spot kick and, just like he did at the weekend, confidently fired home his third goal in two games.


MK Citizen

Kieran Agard rescued a point for MK Dons for the second game in a row - after converting from the penalty spot to secure a 1-1 draw against Southend United.

A commanding first half from the visitors in which they missed a penalty after three minutes but took the lead through a Stephen McLaughlin wonder strike threatened to end Dons' upturn in form.

But the introduction of Peter Pawlett at half-time saw the tables turned, and Robbie Nielson's side dispatched their own spot-kick 15 minutes from time to extend their unbeaten run to five games.

Both sides would have been looking to get off to a quick start on a chilly evening at stadium mk, but the visitors were given a big chance to take the lead after just four minutes when they were awarded a penalty.

McLaughlin had swung in a free kick, and referee Tim Robinson had no hesitation in pointing to the spot after adjudging Scott Wootton to have been shirt-pulling.

Wootton was booked for his misdemeanour, but it was to be the only punishment for Dons as Nicholls dived to his right to claim what was a rather tame spot kick from Josh Wright.

Chuks Aneke battles for the ball with Anton Ferdinand. Picture by Jane Russell It was the second penalty Wright has missed at stadium mk this year, having blazed over the bar in August while playing for Gillingham.

Advertisement block