Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Blues In The News: Cambridge

31 July 2017

Media reaction to Blues'


Southend Echo

MARC-Antoine Fortune’s first half penalty and a late strike from Theo Robinson saw Southend United finish their pre-season preparations with a 2-0 win at Cambridge United this afternoon.

Medy Elito dragged an effort across the face of goal when well placed before the U’s wasted a golden opportunity to equalise when they were awarded a penalty.

However, Luke Berry was unable to make the most of the opportunity as his low effort was impressively pushed against the left post by Oxley.

Yellow Advertiser

Phil Brown’s Shrimpers warmed up for Saturday’s league opening visit of relegated Blackburn Rovers, with a narrow win courtesy of a Marc Antoine-Fortune and Theo Robinson’s late clincher.


Cambridge United FC

Cambridge and Southend United in a show of solidarity for U’s fan Simon Dobbin in the final pre-season friendly ahead of the 2017/18 Sky Bet League Two season.

Accompanied by his family, Dobbin took to the field to a standing ovation and guard of honour, delivering the match ball before the game which ended 0-2 to the visitors.

Rock adjudged Harrison Dunk to have fouled an onrushing Jermaine McGlashan inside the 18 yard box. Marc Antoine-Fortune made no mistake from the spot despite David Forde getting finger tips to the effort which nestled in the bottom right corner, giving Southend the advantage against the run of play.

Shrimper’s shot stopper denied Medy Elito and Liam O’Neil shortly after following excellent pieces of paly to keep Phil Brown’s side ahead, before Theo Robinson got in behind United’s defence late on to double the visitors lead.

Cambridge News

It was the U’s last pre-season before the big kick off next weekend against Exeter and the home side dominated for large swathes, with Harrison Dunk in particular looking dangerous on the wing.

However, a soft penalty which was scored by Marc Antoine Fortune and a last minute goal from substitute Theo Robinson, alongside a missed Luke Berry penalty half-way through the second half, condemned the U’s to defeat. 


Advertisement block