Skip to main content Skip to site footer

BLUES IN THE NEWS | Gillingham

27 February 2017

Press reaction to the 2-1 defeat to Gillingham...


Southend Echo

TWO Josh Wright goals in quick succession saw 10 man Southend United sink to a 2-1 defeat at Gilingham this afternoon.

Wright fired home twice in the space of four minutes to hand the Gills all three points against a Shrimpers side who had Ryan Inniss sent off for two bookable offences deep into the first half stoppage time.

Blues fought hard in the second half with Nile Ranger heading home in the 83rd minute but the visitors were unable to conjure up a late leveller.

Yellow Advertiser

SOUTHEND United manager, Phil Brown, was left frustrated by a series of bizarre refereeing decisions, coupled with a poor first half shown as his side slipped to a disappointing defeat at relegation-threatened Gillingham.


BBC Sport

Two Josh Wright goals in the space of four first-half minutes secured Gillingham victory over 10-man Southend.

Wright fired home twice in quick succession before the Shrimpers were reduced to 10 men deep into first-half stoppage time, when Ryan Inniss was dismissed after being shown a second yellow card.

Southend rallied in the second half, with substitute Nile Ranger heading home, but Wright's double saw the Gills come out on top.


Gillingham FC

Josh Wright's quick-fire double at the end of the first half helped Gillingham record their first victory under Ady Pennock with a thrilling 2-1 win against 10-man Southend United at MEMS Priestfield on Saturday afternoon. 

Wright scored from the penalty spot on 41 minutes and then tapped home from close range following a brilliant team move in stoppage time. Frmer Gills loanee Ryan Innis was the sent off for a second booking before the break.

However, promotion-chasing Southend fought back in the second period but substitute Nile Ranger's header wasn’t enough to prevent the Gills securing three crucial points.

Kent Messenger

A Josh Wright double clinched the points for the Gills against Southend on Saturday.

It was a tense finish at Priestfield but the Gills took maximum points to end an 11-match winless run.

It was a first win for head coach Ady Pennock.

Advertisement block