Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Peterborough 2-0 Southend

6 December 2017

Southend were knocked out of the Checkatrade Trophy after goals from Gwion Edwards and Marcus Maddison saw Peterborough beat Blues 2-0 at the ABAX Stadium.

Blues began the game brightly and created a couple of half-chances, with Amadou Ba testing out Jonathan Bond in the Posh goal with a low drive which was gathered down to his right.

Peterborough would respond with a spell of pressure of their own and their pressure resulted in Grant McCann’s side taking the lead in the 16th minute through Gwion Edwards.

A cross-field pass from Marcus Maddison was left by Anton Ferdinand, expecting Jason Demetriou to clear it behind him only for Edwards to ghost through and slot the ball beyond Mark Oxley.

The home side almost extended their lead shortly after when Maddison stung the palms of Oxley before Chris Forrester’s follow-up tamely went into the arms of the Blues number one.  

Southend went in search of an equaliser and came close to levelling in spectacular fashion when Demetriou let fly from distance, forcing a superb fingertip save from Bond.

Peterborough though should have doubled their advantage when Jack Marriott found space down the left, finding Jermaine Anderson in the six-yard box only for him to somehow miss the target.

Posh continued to be on the front-foot in the second-half and came within an Oxley fingertip of going two in front when Marriott’s strike was tipped onto the post by the Blues ‘keeper.

Seconds later and Posh had a goal disallowed when Anderson headed in a cross at the far post only for his goal to be chalked off by the offside flag.

Somewhat against the run of play, Southend came close to pegging Peterborough back when Jermaine McGlashan’s cross was headed onto the post by Josh Wright.

However, Peterborough would break through for a second time and extend their lead when Maddison scored Posh’s second and put them within touching distance of the last-16.

Maddison picked up the ball on the far right, coming forward with purpose before drilling a low strike across Oxley and into the back of the net just after the hour mark.

The home side then had a string of chances to put the game to bed as the Blues goal led a charmed life with Maddison and Edwards going close three times in quick succession.

Maddison almost grabbed his second with a vicious free-kick from distance that had to be tipped around the post by Oxley. From the resulting corner, Edwards stooped low to head on target only for Oxley to spring across and push the ball wide before another Edwards goal-bound header finally beat Oxley, but was cleared off the line by Demetriou.

Blues were unable to create any clear in front of goal to threaten any sort of a comeback as Peterborough advanced to the last-16 at Southend’s expense.

Blues struggled to carve any clear openings in front of goal with Theo Robinson going close minutes before the end of the match, hitting the side netting as he tried beating Bond at his near post.

Having made all of their subs, Peterborough would finish the game with nine men after Leo Da Silva Lopes limped off before Ryan Tafazolli was taken off on a stretcher in stoppage-time.

Despite the referee signalling eight minutes of injury time, Southend had left themselves too much to do with their night summed up by Nile Ranger hitting the crossbar from six-yards out after Bond had saved from Simon Cox. 

Peterborough United XI: Bond, Hughes, Tafazolli, Baldwin (C), Edwards (Kanu 73’), Forrester, Maddison (Lloyd 78’), Marriott (Miller 73’), Penny, Lopes, Anderson. Subs Not Used: O’Malley, Doughty, Cartwright, Freestone

Blues XI: Oxley, Hendrie, Wordsworth (McLaughlin 65’), Ferdinand (C), Timlin, Ba (Robinson 61’), McGlashan (Cox 75’), Demetriou, Wright, White, Ranger. Subs Not Used: Bishop, Yearwood, Leonard, Bwomono

Referee: J Busby

Assistants: A Da Costa & C Ward

Fourth Official: A Young


Peterborough United: Gwion Edwards 16’, Marcus Maddison 62’

Southend United: None

Yellow Cards:

Peterborough United: Ricky Miller 81’, Idris Kanu 83’, Chris Forrester 85’

Southend United: Jason Demetriou 90+6'

Attendance: 1,707

Advertisement block