Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Southend 3-1 Charlton

26 December 2017

Southend’s winless run came to an end after a brace from Simon Cox and a first Blues goal for Michael Turner were enough to see off Charlton Athletic 3-1 at Roots Hall.

Coming off the back of a third successive defeat on Saturday, Southend made a frightening quick start scoring twice inside the opening 11-minutes of the game. 

Cox opened the scoring after just two minutes after he got on the end of some pinball inside the area to beat Ben Amos from close range.

Blues would double their lead shortly after when Anthony Wordsworth’s free-kick found the run of Michael Turner who glanced his header in off the inside of the post for the perfect start.

Charlton put plenty of pressure on Southend in the second half and got their rewards when Ben Reeves reduced the arrears midway through the second half.

But after surviving mounting Addicks pressure, Cox sealed the points for Blues when he smashed home from close range with just over 10-minutes remaining.

The defeat for Charlton meant they extended their winless run in the league to six games, whilst Southend temporarily climbed into the top-half ahead of the 3pm kick-offs.

Phil Brown had made two changes to his side following Saturday’s defeat to Scunthorpe, with Ryan Leonard returning the starting line-up having missed Saturday’s game through suspension.  

The other change saw Nile Ranger partner Simon Cox up front and both were involved in Southend’s opening goal which was finished off by Cox in the opening two minutes.

Jason Demetriou tried a long-range effort which looped up into the air, bouncing between the heads of Ranger and Anthony Wordsworth before Southend’s number 10 smashed the ball home.

It was a superb start for the home side who could have gone 2-0 up when Stephen McLaughlin flashed the ball across goal, finding Cox who couldn’t get the ball out of his feet to get a shot away.

Blues’ lightning start would see them produce a second goal when Michael Turner made up for his own-goal at the weekend against Scunthorpe by heading in his first Southend goal.

Wordsworth whipped in a free-kick from wide on the right, finding the run of Turner who glanced his header beyond the despairing dive of Ben Amos and in off the inside of the post.

Southend were almost unrecognisable to the side that had lost their last three on the spin, but having gone ahead so early there was still plenty of time for Charlton to force their way back in.

The Addicks fans burst into song, singing “we’ve had a shot” after Josh Magennis took aim inside the penalty area, stinging the palms of Mark Oxley for Charlton’s first attempt of the game.

And they should have got one back on the half-hour mark when Karlan Ahearne-Grant slipped past Demetriou to get goal side, hitting the side netting as he tried to beat Oxley at his near post.

Blues would remain untroubled at the back going into the break with Ranger having a half chance to extend Southend’s lead further as he rose highest to head over from 10-yards out in injury-time.

Southend started the second half with McLaughlin firing a shot straight at Amos who gathered at the second attempt whilst Charlton’s Ahearne-Grant done the same, forcing a save from Oxley.

The visitors were starting to build some momentum with a series of free-kicks and corners and came close to getting one back when Ben Reeves’ corner fell kindly for Joe Aribo who struck wide.

And with a quarter of the game still to play, Charlton would get themselves right back in it when Reeves would beat Oxley and reduce the deficit to one.

A low cross into the area was deflected into the feet of Magennis who calmly laid the ball off for Reeves to run onto and rifle the ball home in front of almost 1400 travelling Addicks fans.

The goal had been just rewards for the visitors who’d looked the better side in the second half and they continued to press forward after the goal as they went in search of an equaliser.

But the pressure Southend were under was all of a sudden lifted when their two-goal lead was restored with just over 10 minutes remaining as Cox powered home his second of the game.

Jermaine McGlashan – on as a substitute for McLaughlin – got to the byline, sending in a deep cross to the far post that was headed down into the danger-zone for Cox to score from six-yards out.  

Blues XI: Oxley, Coker, Wordsworth, Ferdinand (C), Turner, Cox, McLaughlin (McGlashan 73’), Leonard, Demetriou, Wright (White 80’), Ranger (Fortune 85’). Subs Not Used: Bishop, Hendrie, Kyprianou, Robinson

Charlton Athletic XI: Amos, Kashi (Lennon 46’), Magennis, Holmes (C), Reeves, Konsa, Aribo, Ahearne-Grant (Hackett-Fairchild 87’), Dasilva, Sarr, Dijksteel. Subs Not Used: Phillips, Jackson, Dodoo, Lapslie

Referee: Darren Drysdale

Assistants: Daniel Cook & Marc Wilson

Fourth Official: Paul Kelly


Southend United: Simon Cox 2’, 79’, Michael Turner 11’

Charlton Athletic: Ben Reeves 66’

Yellow Cards:

Southend United: Ryan Leonard 38’, Ben Coker 63’, Nile Ranger 77’, Mark Oxley 86’

Charlton Athletic: Harry Lennon 81, Ezri Konsa 90+2’

Attendance: 9,588

Advertisement block