Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Southend United v Peterborough United

1 October 2016

REPORT | Southend United 1-1 Peterborough United

Southend United were denied all three points against Peterborough United at Roots Hall as Marcus Maddison hit a 90th minute equaliser to cancel out Anthony Wordsworth's opener in a 1-1 draw in Sky Bet League One.

Phil Brown kept the same starting XI from the midweek win over Oxford United for this one, with room on the bench for new signing Marc-Antoine Fortune.

A relatively even start saw Blues go for goal first inside the opening five minutes, with Stephen McLaughlin zipping one just wide of the right post with his left foot from 20-yards.

The Irishman then linked up well with Ben Coker down the left-hand side sending the latter down the by-line after a neat give and go. The full-back hooked one back for Anthony Wordsworth who hit over the bar on the stretch with 17 minutes played.

The Posh drove forward through Leonard Da Silva Lopes just past the 20 minute mark. The midfielder tried his luck from just outside the area, but dragged his effort slightly wide of Mark Oxley's right and Blues survived.

Ryan Inniss was first to go in the book for dissent on the half hour mark after disagreeing with the referee's decision to pull up for a foul against him on Tom Nichols.

Soon after the incident Marcus Maddison skipped into the Blues box in a dangerous move for the Posh; he looked to thread it through to Nichols but the defence was on hand to make timely interception and clear.

As the half drew on, Blues pressed through Jermaine McGlashan who flashed a low ball into the box on 38' - Posh Keeper Luke McGee was on hand to bravely flick it away with his hands ahead of any oncoming Southend traffic.

Ryan Leonard, fresh from his screamer the other night, tried his luck again of the half volley with five minutes of the half left to play - just over this time though.

In a good spell of pressure from the home side before the half, McGlashan crossed in to the back post towards McLaughlin. The winger rose well and sent a looping header back across goal which crashed off the bar.

It was then Peterborough's turn to hit the framework in added time as Maddison smacked the bar after being played through by Paul Taylor.

Half Time: Southend United 0-0 Peterborough United

Blues came out the traps quickest in the second half, as Coker attacked down the left. The full-back floated one to the back stick which Jason Demetriou controlled and and cut on to his left before hitting a low shot which McGee gathered at his near post.

Maddison was sent clear on 50 minutes, but Oxley came out well and closed the angle, forcing the winger to shoot straight at him.

The game sprung into life just past the hour mark as the referee pointed to the spot for an almost identical offence that saw Blues awarded a spot kick against Oxford in midweek as Coker's left-wing cross was handled by Maddison. Wordsworth, like Tuesday, strode forward to take it, but this time his penalty was weak and was well saved by McGee to his left.

A double switch of firepower was the reaction from the bench as Simon Cox and Fortune came on in place of David Mooney and McLaughlin on 68'.

Inniss towered above the Posh defence to meet Wordsworth's corner on 70 minutes but put his header wide of the target. Shortly after the defender would put his aerial presence to good use yet again, nodding in the direction of debutant Fortune but the Peterborough back line made a vital interception.

Barrett was next to make a crucial stop at the other end as Maddison charged into the box. Just as the winger looked to slot past Oxley Barrett was on hand to make a timely sliding challenge with just over 15 left to play.

What a vital stop that proved to be as Blues took the lead on 78 minutes. Cox made a timely overlap with Coker on the ball on the left, he played it to the striker who hit an inviting first-time cross into the area which came out to Wordsworth. The midfielder certainly made amends for his earlier miss from the spot, smashing the ball into the top-right corner with a first time shot.

Nathan Oduwa, who had scored two goals against Blues' Under-21's a few weeks back, was introduced to the pitch with just over five minutes remaining - Peterborough's last roll of the dice as they looked to get back into it.

It was Blues that nearly got the next goal and wrapped things however, as Fortune threaded it through to McGlashan on the right. The winger, who had shown good pace to get into a good position, saw his goalbound effort blocked by Hughes.

And if that was a good opportunity to wrap things up, Leonard provided Cox with a golden chance to see the game out as he played the ball across goal to him, unmarked. With the goal gaping, Cox struggled to deal with the pace of the cross and hit back across goal and wide with the goal gaping.

That would come back to haunt Blues as Maddison levelled things up on 90 minutes with a low left footed strike past Oxley.

Sub George Moncur nearly stole it for Posh in added time as he cut in on the right and curled one that flew within a whisker of sneaking into the far corner.

1-1 it finished and Blues unbeaten home-record in all competitions stretches to 4 games.

Southend United XI | Oxley, Coker, Wordsworth, Barrett (c), Mooney, McLaughlin, McGlashan, Leonard, Demetriou, Inniss, Ferdinand.

SUBS | Smith, White, Thompson, O'Neill, Cox, Atkinson, Fortune.

POSH XI | McGee, Smith, Hughes, Baldwin, Bostwick, Lopes, Forrester (c), Marcus Maddison, Edwards, Taylor, Nichols.

SUBS | Tyler, Santos, White, Chettle, Moncur, Oduwa, Moore.

Attendance: 6,417

Advertisement block