Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

BIG PREVIEW | Stevenage

8 November 2016

REPORT | Stevenage 4-0 Southend United

A disappointing night in Hertfordshire saw Blues beaten 4-0 by Stevenage in the final Group G game in the Checkatrade Trophy.

Crucially though, the result had no bearing on Blues' final standing in the group after Brighton & Hove Albion U21s beat Leyton Orient, meaning top spot was secured and a home tie in the Round of 32.

Steve Schumacher, Matt Godden and a Rowan Liburd double were the difference.

Blues made eight changes to the starting line-up, with Michael Timlin make his first start of the season and Harry Kyprianou making a start at left back.

Ted Smith made a brilliant save from Steve Schumacher's 30 yard free kick inside the first five minutes as Stevenage made a bright start.

But moments later Stevenage took the lead with another free kick from roughly the same place which bent over the wall and into the bottom left hand corner.

Blues were forced into an early change when Jack Bridge replaced Simon Cox who hobbled off the pitch.

The home side were in control and their dominance told when they doubled their lead in the 16th minute.

A quick free kick found Matt Godden who slotted under the on-rushing Ted Smith, but the keeper couldn't do anything to keep the score at just 1-0.

Blues regained some control in the game, but Stevenage still looked more likely to get a third.

Michael Timlin's shot started a flurry of Blues chances with the best of them going to Luke O'Neill who hit the underside of the bar, before the ball bounced away via the back of Stevenage keeper Day's back.

HALF TIME: Stevenage 2-0 Southend

Blues made a change at the break by introducing Jabub Sokolik for Adam Thompson.

And the first chance went to the away side when a cross from the left just evaded Jack Bridge six yards out.

Smith was called into action with another fine acrobatic save save to stop Godden.

But things went from bad to worse for Blues as Stevenage added a third through Rowan Liburd, who calmly stroked the ball into the far right hand corner.

The game was over from that point on but Blues rallied to give the brilliant 185 traveling away support something to cheer about.

Anthony Wordsworth, a second half substitute for Blues, looked like making a breakthrough with some clever intricate passes.

Barrett had a shot which was straight at keeper Day and then McGlashan angled a shot wide of the right post from Wordsworth's excellent driven cross.

There was still time for Boro to add a fourth with Liburd getting his second on the night.

That's the way it ended and Blues will try to put that result behind them as quickly as possible with the draw for the next phase of the competition.

Advertisement block