Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

BLUES IN THE NEWS | Bradford City

3 May 2016

Here’s what the local and national media were saying about Blues’ defeat to Bradford City at Roots Hall.

Blues welcomed the Bantams for the last home game of the season, and the promotion contenders came away 1-0 winners.

Lee Evans’ early goal was enough to settle the encounter, despite some late pressure from Southend.

Phil Brown’s side will now look to sign off the season with a win at Bury in the final fixture of the season.


Southend United sunk to their fourth defeat in succession this afternoon, losing 1-0 to Bradford City at Roots Hall.

Lee Evans’s early effort made sure of a place in the play-offs for the Bantams.

And it also heaped further misery on the out of sorts Shrimpers.


MISFIRING Southend United’s winless Sky Bet League One run stretched to six matches as Lee Evans’ early goal earned promotion hopefuls Bradford City a 1-0 success at Roots Hall Stadium.


Bradford City made sure of a League One play-off spot as they beat Southend United thanks to Lee Evans' early goal.

Evans gave the Bantams the lead with style early on as he curled home from 20 yards into the bottom corner.

The Shripmers fought back and Ryan Leonard forced Bradford goalkeeper Ben Williams into a fine save with a fierce effort from long-range.

The hosts almost restored parity when Tyrone Barnett volleyed against the crossbar but Bradford held on.


Bradford secured their place in the Sky Bet League 1 play-offs with a 1-0 win at Southend.

Lee Evans bagged the only goal of the game after just 12 minutes to secure all three points for the Bantams to guarantee Phil Parkinson's side a top-six finish.

Evans' early effort came when he a curled an accurate 20-yard shot into the bottom corner of the net.



Three points for the Bantams in Essex this Saturday ensured that they will now play in this season's Play Offs and contest for a return to the Championship after a twelve year wait.

Lee Evans’ superbly taken goal in the twelfth minute of the game proved ultimately to be the winning goal.

Southend threatened in the second period and Tyrone Barnett was denied by the bar before Paul Anderson, making his awaited return from injury, grazed the bar late on with a dipping volley from the edge of the box.

Advertisement block