Skip to main content Skip to site footer

BLUES at 110 | Memorable moments

19 May 2016

Have a look over some of Blues most trasured memories in their 110 year history!

As Southend United celebrates its 110th Birthday today we take a look over some memorable moments for the Blues.

Southend United 1-1 Wycombe Wanderers (7-6 pens)
Sky Bet League 2 Play-Off Final
Saturday 23 May 2015
Wembley Stadium

Daniel Bentley was the hero as Blues defeated beat Wycombe on penalties to win the Sky Bet League 2 Play-Off Final on the hallowed Wembley turf.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man as Bentley stepped up to deny Sam Wood's effort to complete the League One march under the arch.

It had all looked so different in extra time as it looked for all the world that Joe Jacobson's 25-yard free-kick had given Wycombe the win.

As time ticked on and went into stoppage time, up stepped Joe Pigott to slot home in the 122nd minute to take it to the lottery of penalties.

This was to be Blues first return to the third-tier in five years.

Football League Trophy Finals 2004, 2005 & 2013

Blues have made it to the final of the Football League Trophy three times in the club’s history.

The first came on March 21 2004 at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, as Blues took on Blackpool. Sadly, it was not to be a glorious day in the Welsh Capital as Southend went down 2-0 to the Tangerines after goals from John Murphy and Danny Coid.

Blues were back in the final in Cardiff a year later on Apil 10 2005 but it was not a happy return as they were defeated 2-0 by Wrexham with goals from Juan Ugarte and Darren Ferguson.

Blues were next back in the final in 2013, this time at Wembley stadium with Crewe Alexandra the opponents.

Different surroundings, but unfortunately the same scoreline as Blues lost 2-0 to the Railwaymen with Luke Murphy and Max Clayton getting on the scoresheet.

Southend United 1-0 Manchester United
League Cup Fourth Round
Tuesday 7 November
Roots Hall

11,532 fans packed into Roots Hall to see Southend pull off the greatest of shocks by dumping holders Manchester United out of the League Cup.

A stunning 30-yard free-kick from non-other than top scorer Freddy Eastwood sent the Blues into the Quarter Finals and Roots Hall into ecstasy.

Darryl Flahavan was in inspired form in goal for Southend denying Cristiano Ronaldo with two magnificent stops.

The Blues prevented any ‘Fergie Time’ levellers and held strong to claim a famous win.

Southend 1-0 Bristol City
League 1
Saturday 6 May
Roots Hall

Saturday 6th May 2006 was the day Southend United secured the League One title thanks to Wayne Gray's 87th-minute winner.

Gray came off the bench to grab the winner to snatch the title from Essex rivals Colchester United just three minutes from time as the match appeared to be heading for a goalless draw.

Gray latched onto Kevin Maher's pass to seal the title with a powerful deflected shot.

Swansea 2-2 Southend United
League 1
Saturday 29 April
Liberty Stadium

It was party time in Wales as Southend fought back twice to come from behind against Swansea to draw 2-2 and secure Championship promotion at the Liberty Stadium.

A Freddy Eastwood brace cancelled out two goals from Swansea's Rory Fallon to register a priceless promotion point as competitors Brentford were held by Hartlepool.

The result meant that Blues had secured back-to-back promotions after League Two play-off success in the previous season.

Southend United 2-0 Lincoln City
League 2 Play-Off Final
Saturday 28 May 2005
Millennium Stadium

Two goals in extra-time earned promotion for Southend after a tense League Two play-off final at the Millennium Stadium.

A game few clear chances appeared to be heading for penalties before Freddy Eastwood smashed home on 105 minutes

It got a whole lot better five minutes later as Duncan Jupp latched on to Eastwood's pass to slot the ball into the back of the net and grant safe passage to League One.

Bury 0-1 Southend United
Division Three
Saturday 4 May 1991
Gigg Lane

Blues went to Bury knowing knowing a win on the road against the Shakers would secure back to back promotions for David Webb’s men.

A tense encounter ensued at Gigg Lane, not helped by Scully’s early dismissal for an rash challenge.

The ten men rallied and as the game entered the closing stages Andy Ansah yet again rampaged down the right flank, his scuffed cross fell to Ian Benjamin.

The man who had terrorised Southend in the 80’s as part of the powerful Northampton side turned neatly on the edge of the box.

His deft shot found the corner of the home net and the away terrace paused momentarily to let the realisation dawn, and then unbridled jubilation was unleashed.

It was a truly iconic moment in the club’s history as they won promotion to the second-tier for the first time in their existence.

Southend United Division Four Champions 1980/81!

Club records tumbled as Southend won the Division Four title in fine style.

Using only seventeen players all season, three of whom only made fleeting appearances, Southend won their first ever major trophy as a Football League club.

The team was built on a rock solid defence and an amazing home record. The team won nineteen and drew four of its 23 home games and in the ten home games between August 22nd and November 15th didn’t even concede a League goal at Roots Hall.

Goalkeeper Mervyn Cawston went 985 minutes unbeaten in home games until Bradford City’s Bobby Campbell finally ended the run.

It was two points for a win in those days, but under the present system, Southend would have clocked up a staggering 97 points as they headed the table from the likes of Lincoln City, Doncaster Rovers and the old Wimbledon club.

Although it was a real team effort top scorer Derek Spence was voted Player of the Year and also won caps for Northern Ireland whilst with the Blues.

Advertisement block