Skip to main content Skip to site footer

BLUES AT 110 - Pieces of history - Part One

26 May 2016

A look back at some memorable Blues moments - This edition we look at Blues' road to Wembley in the JPT in 2012/13

As the club recently celebrated its 110th year in existence, we decided to pick out some particular key moments in Blues history.

This edition sees us look at the run to the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy Final and Southend United’s first trip to the new Wembley Stadium.

Round One – Southend United 2-1 AFC Wimbledon 04/09/12

In the first round, Blues came up against AFC Wimbledon at Roots Hall. Southend received a scare on the half hour mark Frankie Merrifield’s first half goal gave the Dons the advantage.

Brendan Kiernan got in behind Clohessy down the left hand side before delivering a low cross which found Merrifield who precisely found the bottom corner of the net.

Blues brought the game back on level terms in the 59th minute through Tomlin’s first goal for the club from the penalty spot after Britt Assombalonga was hacked down inside the area.

Tomlin slotted home the penalty into the bottom left hand corner of the goal sending the keeper the wrong way.

Deep into injury time Southend stole victory with Ryan Cresswell scoring his second goal of the season, angling a header into the bottom corner of the net leaving the Dons keeper stranded.

Neil Harris’ cross was inch perfect finding the makeshift striker who secured Blues progress into the next round.

Round Two - Southend United 2-0 Dagenham & Redbridge 09/10/12

Southend United gained safe passage to the next round with a 2-0 victory over Dagenham & Redbridge on home turf.

Ryan Cresswell gave Blues the advantage inside the first 20 minutes, meeting Kevan Hurst’s right wing cross with precision to head into the left corner.

The lead was stretched on the hour-mark as a mistimed clearance from Dagenham defender gifted Britt Assombalonga the chance to fire the ball home from six-yards.

Area Quarter-Final – Southend United 2-1 Brentford 04/12/12

Southend United secured their place in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy Southern Section semi-finals with a 2-1 cup-shock win against League One Brentford at Roots Hall.

Southend took the lead in the 27th minute through Mkandawire’s first goal for the club from the edge of the area.

The midfielder controlled the ball well before firing a left footed effort at goal which took a deflection giving Simon Moore no hope in the Brentford goal.
Southend extended their lead in the 39th minute with a sublime finish from Hurst, rifling the ball past the helpless Moore.

The midfielder picked the ball up from distance before angling a superb 25 yard right footed strike into the top corner of the goal.

Brentford pulled a goal back in the 84th minute through Hayes’ smart finish from Dean’s long through ball.

The striker caught a yard on the Blues defence before firing the ball past Smith in goal as the Bees made it a nervous final five minutes.

The victory ensured Southend were in the pot for the Southern Section semi finals for the second year running.

Area Semi-Final - Oxford United 3-3 Southend United (Southend Win 5-3 on Penalties) 08/01/13

Daniel Bentley was again the penalty hero as he saved Alfie Potter's penalty to ensure Blues progressed to the JPT southern-section final against Leyton Orient.

Barry Corr gave Blues the lead early on when he headed home before the home side responded through Tyrone Marsh and then Tom Craddock to lead 2-1 at half-time.

The visitors though came out of the blocks flying in the second-half and were soon ahead. Sean Clohessy levelled things up in the 54th minute before Corr scored his fourth goal in two games to complete the turnaround.

Blues so nearly held on to win it in normal time, but Sean Rigg levelled proceedings with two minutes to go as he headed home from close range.

That sent the game to penalties and after Alfie Potter had his shot saved by Bentley, Elliot Benyon stepped up to send Blues into the southern section final.

Area Final First Leg – Leyton Orient 0-1 Southend United 05/02/13

Blues took a slender one goal lead back to Roots Hall in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy Southern Area Final after beating Leyton Orient 1-0 away from home in the first leg.

Ryan Leonard’s second half deflected effort from Sean Clohessy’s cross just before the hour mark gave Blues the advantage in this close encounter.

Clohessy attacked down the right before playing a cross into the near post which was met superbly by the young midfielder, who dispatched from close range much to the travelling support’s delight.

Area Final Second Leg – Southend United 2-2 Leyton Orient (Southend win 3-2 on aggregate) 20/02/16

Blues are going to Wembley!

Ben Reeves scored a 90th minute equaliser to send Blues to Wembley after a 3-2 aggregate win against Leyton Orient in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

Shaun Batt gave the away side the best start possible after eight minutes before substitute Barry Corr drew level.

David Mooney, this time in the away dressing room, scored a header in the second half which looked to have take the game to penalties.

With 90 minutes on the clock Southend found the equaliser through Reeves giving Blues the advantage in their quest to Wembley.

Hurst did superbly on the wing to find the cross which Reeves slotted in excellently with his left foot leaving Jones rooted and send Southend marching down Wembley Way!

Final – Crewe Alexandra 2-0 Southend United 07/04/16

Blues were beaten 2-0 in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy Final against Crewe Alexandra at Wembley Stadium.

Goals in either half from Luke Murphy and Max Clayton was enough for the League 1 side to win for the second time in a year at the National Stadium.

New Manager, Phil Brown made two changes from the draw with Fleetwood as Chris Barker and Luke Prosser both returned from injury to start the game.

That meant Mark Phillips and Freddy Eastwood dropped to the bench while Anthony Straker started on the left side of midfield.

Paul Smith, who had been called upon earlier in the game, could do nothing about Crewe’s opener which came with five minutes gone.

Byron Moore’s corner was swept to the edge of the box for Crewe skipper Murphy to curl the ball into the top corner.

The second-half got off to the worst possible start for Blues. Biel was robbed of the ball in the middle of the park and within two passes, Moore’s cutback had found Clayton who tapped the ball into an empty net.

There were half chances for Blues late on but they were unable to find the back of the net as Crewe held on, and could have made it more convincing had sub Ajay Leitch-Smith not hit the bar.

Advertisement block