Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Southend 2-0 Colchester United

30 July 2016

Read the Match Report from Southend's United final pre-season friendly v Colchester United

Southend United signed off their pre-season campaign with a 2-0 win over neighbours Colchester United at Roots Hall.

Goals from Simon Cox and David Mooney made it four wins in pre-season for Blues as they now prepare to get their domestic campaign underway against Gillingham in Sky Bet League One on Saturday 6 August.

Ted Smith started in goal for Blues with Mooney and Cox up top in a 4-4-2 formation.

In opposition, former Southend defender Luke Prosser was captain of the U’s in the heart of their defence – Colchester in 4-2-3-1 formation.

Blues started the game brightly with both Mooney and Atkinson having half chances early on.

The early pressure eventually made the visitors cave as McGlashan was brought tumbling down in the box by Kinsella on 13’- Penalty.

Up stepped new boy, Cox who stroked home the spot-kick to his right to give the Southend the lead.

McGlashan looked to have taken a knock from that challenge and was replaced by Luke O’Neill on 19 minutes.

After only picking the ball out of his net ten minutes previous, Walker almost punched a corner into his own net. Luckily for the away side Prosser was on hand to clear it off the line.

Southend didn’t have to wait long to double the advantage though, as David Mooney slotted home on 25 minutes.

It was a wonderful move from Blues - Cox rolled a beautifully timed ball through to his compatriot who stroked the ball under Walker.

Dickenson was put into the book on the half hour mark after having two separate digs at Demetriou in a competitive half.

Colchester fashioned their first opportunity on 32 minutes as Loft hit one that just drifted past Smith’s left-hand post.

Blues nearly made it three just before the half - A reverse pass was played into the path of Atkinson inside the box, but he fired straight at Walker.

Half Time – Southend United 2-0 Colchester United

Atkinson was next get a yellow card three minutes into the second period for a foul on Garvan. The U’s player couldn’t continue and was replaced by Slater on 50 minutes.

The first real chance of the half went to the visitors on 53’ – Loft with the effort from outside the box, which Smith kept out.

The U’s went even closer on 59 minutes as they had one off the line. Porter's header was cleared by Demetriou in the goalmouth in a piece of fantastic defending.

A Great save from Walker denied Mooney from close range on 66’. Barrett then volleyed the rebound over

As substitutes flowed the game became limited in terms of chances – Mooney and Cox looking the perfect pair up front; almost combining for a third but Prosser intercepted.

Back came Colchester as Smith watched Szmodics' effort go curling just over his bar on 84 minutes.

Southend remained resolute in defence though and secured a 2-0 victory in the Essex Derby – The perfect way to go into the league season!

SOUTHEND XI | Smith, Demetriou, Barrett (c) (Sokolik 80’), Thompson, Coker, McGlashan (O’Neill 19’), Leonard, Atkinson, McLaughlin (Batlokwa 80’), Mooney, Cox.

SUBS | Oxley, White, Sokolik, O'Neill, Bridge, Williams, Batlokwa.

COLCHESTER UNITED XI | Walker, Brindley, Eastman, Prosser, Kinsella (Vincent-Young 75’), Garvan (Slater 50’), Loft (Guthrie 61’), Szmodcis, Wright (Sembie-Ferris 45’), Dickenson (Bonne 61), Porter (Johnstone 70’).

SUBS | Kent, Vincent-Young, Elokobi, Johnstone, Bonne, Slater, Sembie-Ferris, Guthrie, Bransgrove.

Attendance: 1,971 (155 Away)

Advertisement block