Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reaction from Blues' 2-1 victory against Canvey Island

13 July 2016

Blues make it two wins out of two

Phil Brown was happy with Blues' second run out in four days "I thought it was a good, competitive game, changing 11 players upset our flow and the rain spoilt it too.

“I wasn’t sure the game was going to survive and it might not have done if it was a league game.

“But we got out of it what we wanted in terms of a fitness exercise.”

First half goals from Luke O’Neill and a trialist secured Southend United a 2-1 win at Canvey Island in the second pre-season friendly.

Blues netted inside the opening 12 minutes at Park Lane before Richard Halle’s header brought the Islanders back into the game.

Heavy rain midway through the first half made the second half tough for both teams which the pitch lucky to hold up.

But Blues’ bright start eventually swayed the friendly in their favour.

Southend came close to scoring early on with a trialist having an effort parried to safety by Canvey goalkeeper Conor Gough.

But the visitors did not have to wait long until breaking the deadlock as O’Neill fired them in front in the eight minute.

O’Neill, who was featuring further forward than normal on the right wing, cut in off the flank and fired a powerful left footed shot into the bottom left hand corner of the net.

Moments later, the Shrimpers doubled their advantage with a trialist playing up front on target.

The same trialist – who bagged a brace at Great Wakering Rovers on Saturday – reacted sharply after another trialist had been denied by Gough and fired home with a clinical finish from close range.

The Islanders soon hit back with George Sykes having a well struck shot impressively diverted over the crossbar by Ted Smith.

However, seven minutes before the break Canvey halved Southend’s lead with centre-back Richard Halle rising above Smith to head home a right wing corner.

Blues again made 11 changes at the break and soon came close to making it 3-1 when a trialist defender saw his deflected header well saved by Gough.

Ryan Leonard then sent a long range effort wide of the right post but the wet conditions made it difficult for too much football to be played in the second half.

The game momentarily came to life when Jason Williams headed Jordan Williams’ right wing cross over the crossbar from close range before the game petered out with very few other opportunities being created.

Southend United first half: Smith, Demetriou, Matsuzaka, Barrett, Coker, O’Neill, Trialist, Timlin, McGlashan, Trialist, Trialist

Second half: Bexon, Jordan Williams, Salami, Trialist, Kyprianou, Batlokwa, Leonard, Atkinson, Cotton, Mooney, Jason Williams

Advertisement block