Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Scunthorpe United v Southend United

13 February 2016

Blues suffer 1-0 defeat to Scunthorpe United

SOUTHEND United’s Glanford Park hoodoo continued with a 1-0 defeat at Scunthorpe United this afternoon.

The Blues had failed to win any of their previous 11 visits to the Iron’s home.

And Paddy Madden’s first half header ensured Blues’ Glanford park form continued.

Phil Brown’s side, who came into the game on the back of three success, were halted as Scunthorpe were able to continue their recent revival.

The Iron enjoyed more of the ball early on and came close to taking the lead when Stephen Dawson’s 20 yard shot was tipped wide of the left post by Blues goalkeeper Daniel Bentley.

But, from the resulting 11th minute corner – which was taken short – the hosts broke the deadlock as Luke Williams’ left wing cross was headed home from close range by the hosts’ top goalscorer Madden.

Scunthorpe soon almost doubled their lead when Neal Bishop’s low volley was kept out by Bentley at his near post.

However, Southend hit back with Tyrone Barnett having a scuffed shot from Will Atkinson’s right wing cross easily saved by former Blues loanee Luke Daniels.

After surviving the slight scare, Scunthorpe immediately got back on top and almost doubled their advantage when Stephen Hendrie’s attempted clearance struck Bishop before being impressively saved by Bentley.

That made sure the Iron led by just one goal at the break but the home team remained on top at the start of the second half with David Mirfin heading Williams’ left wing corner inches wide of the left post.

Blues responded by making a double change in the 51st minute as Jamar Loza replaced Glen Kamara while Anthony Wordsworth came on for Sam McQueen.

Eight minutes later, came a third substitution which was enforced as Barnett limped out to be replaced by Noel Hunt in attack.

But, despite the alterations, it was Scunthorpe who remained on top and, in the 63rd minute, they came close to making it 2-0 when Murray Wallace headed a right-wing free-kick from Williams against the crossbar.

Blues soon replied with Hunt having a 25 yard free-kick parried to safety by Daniels before a moment late controversy saw the Shrimpers screaming for a penalty when Loza went to ground following a challenge from Williams.

However, despite Southend’s strong appeals for a spot-kick, referee David Coote opted to wave play on to complete a miserable afternoon for Blues.

Advertisement block