Skip to main content Skip to site footer

BLUES IN THE NEWS | Bristol Rovers

22 August 2016

See what the local and national media had to say about Blues' 1-1 draw with Bristol Rovers...

Southend Echo:

SIMON Cox’s late penalty rescued a share of the spoils for Southend United against Bristol Rovers at Roots Hall this afternoon.

Blues seemed to be heading for defeat when Peter Hartley headed Rovers in front midway through the second half.

But Cox’s 81st minute spot kick meant the game ended in a 1-1 draw.

Yellow Advertiser:

A Controversial late penalty from Simon Cox earned Southend United a share of the spoils in a lacklustre Sky Bet League One affair with newly promoted Bristol Rovers.

BBC Sport:

Simon Cox's late penalty rescued a point for Southend as they drew 1-1 with Bristol Rovers at Roots Hall.

Rovers seemed set for all three points when Peter Hartley headed them in front midway through the second half but Cox's 81st-minute spot-kick ensured the game ended all square.


Bristol Rovers:

Rovers were unlucky to leave Roots Hall with a point after a 1-1 draw with Southend United.

Simon Cox's second half penalty cancelled out Peter Hartley's header as both sides shared the points.

Rovers can feel hard done by to not leave Roots Hall with all three points after what was a very harsh decision on Ellis Harrison for the penalty but up next for Darrell Clarke's men is a visit to Stamford Bridge to take on Chelsea in the Second Round of the EFL Cup.

Bristol Post:

Peter Hartley scored his first goal for Bristol Rovers – but it was not quite enough to secure a maximum return as spoils were shared with Southend United at Roots Hall this afternoon.

Hartley brought what had been a fairly turgid affair to life on the hour mark by being gifted the freedom of the penalty area to power a Chris Lines' corner into the net to score his first goal since arriving in the summer.
Considering the lack of meaningful goalmouth action throughout, it looked as though one set-piece situation may be enough to settle it, but Southend were given a helping hand by the referee Gavin Ward on 80- minutes.

The ball had been flighted over to the far post and when Ellis Harrison blocked Southend United substitute Jack Bridge's attempt to return the cross into the danger area, Ward deemed that the ball had been handled.

Simon Cox waited patiently for the protestations to die down before confidently sending Steve Mildenhall the wrong way to earn Southend United a share of the spoils.

Advertisement block