Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Blackpool v Southend United

2 April 2016

REPORT | Blackpool v Southend United

Southend United suffered a huge blow in their quest for a play-off after two second half goals gave Blackpool all three points in the North West.

Mark Cullen’s header gave Blackpool the lead after a goalless first half and Jacob Blyth wrapped things up for the home side with an emphatic close range finish.

Blackpool had the first chance of the game in the opening minute with Blyth stinging the palms of Dan Bentley with a right footed strike from 18 yards out.

It was the home side once again with Cullen dragging his effort just wide of the mark from 12 yards with Blues’ defence closing him down.

Blues were on the back foot in the opening minutes with Danny Philliskirk trying his luck from 25 yards out after a clever lay off from Cullen but the midfielder’s effort went past Bentley’s right hand post.

Southend got back into the game and should’ve taken the lead in the 27th minute after Jamar Loza had the goal at his mercy.

Jack Payne’s left footed effort cannoned off Loza and the striker hit the post from close range and an acute angle much to the player’s frustration.

It was nearly a costly miss as Brad Potts fired a superb long range effort at goal which Bentley was equal to, parrying the ball away to safety when it looked destined for the net.

With 41 minutes gone it was Potts’ midfield runs which were causing the problems for Blues and he nearly found the net with a rasping right footed effort which made its way through a number of players before
skidding inches wide.

Southend hit back instantly with Loza utilising his pace down the wing before skidding a great ball across the box which Hayden White just managed to clear to safety.

The second half started fast paced at Bloomfield Road and it was Blackpool who took the lead with 49 minutes gone through Cullen’s header much to Blues’ frustration as they were adamant he scored from an offside

David Norris’ shot into the floor from 25 yards out found its way to Cullen eight yards out who headed the ball into the top corner to give the Tangerines the lead.

With just over an hour gone Phil Brown made a double change as he looked to find a way back into the game with Jamar Loza and Stephen McLaughlin replaced by Myles Weston and Sam McQueen.

Southend pressed Blackpool and a last ditch block from Tom Aldred denied Tyrone Barnett a goal scoring opportunity after a great cross from substitution Ryan Leonard.

From the resulting corner it was Ryan who had his header saved comfortably by Doyle and the keeper was at it again saving Barnett’s downward header minutes later.

The home side doubled their advantage in the 79th minute after Blyth scored emphatically from close range after superb play from strike partner Cullen.

Cullen powered his way down the wing before cutting the ball back to Blyth who turned before finding the corner of the net much to the home fans’ delight.

Blues were unable to find a route back into the game with the Tangerines securing all three points as Southend suffered a disappointing day in Blackpool.

Advertisement block