Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Southend United 2-1 Scunthorpe United

26 September 2015

Timlin and Coker goals see Blues make it two wins in a week!

Michael Timlin and Ben Coker both scored their first goals of the season as Southend United battled back to earn a 2-1 win at home to Scunthorpe United.

Following Gary McSheffrey's opener, Blues responded with a neat finish by Timlin later in the first half.

And with 15 minutes remaining, Coker slammed home from inside the box to earn the points for the Blues and make it two successive victories in League 1.

Blues boss Phil Brown made one change to his starting XI from the one that began at Millwall a week earlier as  Coker came in for the injured Adam Barrett. 

Luke Prosser moved to centre back alongside Cian Bolger, with Luke O'Neill keeping his place at right back over John White, who missed out on the squad altogether.

It wasn't the best of starts for Blues, who went behind after only seven minutes. 

A free kick into the box wasn't cleared correctly and dropped to Gary McSheffrey who unleashed a fantastic strike from 25 yards which nestled into the bottom corner.

McSheffrey went close again moments later when his attempt fell onto the roof of Dan Bentley's net.

The best chance for Southend in the early stages fell to David Worrall, who cut in from the right but saw his left-footed effort held comfortably by former Blues loan goalkeeper Luke Daniels in the Scunthorpe goal.

On 25 minutes, A neat one-two involving Ryan Leonard and David Mooney led to the former bursting through but firing into the side netting from a narrow angle.

But just over ten minutes later the Blues were rewarded for their endeavour with a great move and finish from skipper Timlin.

Worrall and Coker were involved down the left, with the latter doing brilliantly to dart away from his man and cut the ball back to Timlin who confidently swept the ball into the bottom corner from just inside the box. 

But moments later Scunthorpe could have gone back into the lead through loanee Joe Lolley, but the winger could only slash well wide of Bentley's goal from close range.

With the game edging towards half time, Paddy Madden hit the post with an effort before the ball trickled across the six-yard box and was cleared by Bolger.

After the break, Iron substitute Kevin van Veen came close to adding to Scunthorpe's tally, but Bentley did brilliantly to stop the Dutchman's powerful effort from inside the box.

Brown replaced Joe Pigott with the returning Noel Hunt just prior to the hour, in a bid to freshen up the attack for Blues.

Minutes after the hour mark and Timlin came close to putting Blues in front, but Daniels smothered his attempt.

With 15 minutes left, Blues had the clincher, coming from the unlikely source of Coker.

The defender went on a surging run down the left and latched on to a lovely through ball by Hunt before lashing into the bottom corner, giving Daniels no chance.

Soon after and Hunt was again involved, setting up Leonard for a shot but this time the ball sailed over the bar.

Mooney had a chance to wrap up the win but saw his low strike saved by the legs of Daniels. 

And that was to be the last notable action and Blues got back to winning ways at Roots Hall.

Blues: Bentley; O'Neill, Bolger, Prosser, Coker; Worrall (Weston, 86), Leonard, Deegan, Timlin (c); Pigott (Hunt, 57), Mooney (Rea, 90)

Unused substitutes: T. Smith, Wordsworth, Payne, Atkinson

Advertisement block