Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Southend United 2-1 Barnsley

17 October 2015

Wordsworth and Prosser score first goals of the season to earn comeback win against the Tykes.

First half goals from Anthony Wordsworth and Luke Prosser ensured Southend United's fine home form continued after a narrow but deserved 2-1 win over Barnsley at Roots Hall.

And it was another comeback win from a resilient Blues, with the Tykes taking the lead from the spot mid-way through the first 45 minutes in controversial circumstances.

Blues boss Phil Brown made one change from the starting XI that won against Port Vale a week earlier, and it was an enforced one.

Gary Deegan was suspended for the game which meant Wordsworth – who had two assists in his last two games – started the game in central midfield.

It was a quick start from both sides and after David Mooney blasted over after only 30 second of the game, Barnsley had the ball in the net through Dan Crowley, but the Arsenal loanee was offside after Michael Smith's strike was instinctively saved by Dan Bentley.

Wordsworth went close to opening the scoring soon after but Tykes stopper Adam Davies tipped his effort round the post. 

It was a frantic opening 20 minutes to the game, and Blues went close when Myles Weston attempted to place an effort past Davies but it went into the Barnsley custodian's gloves rather than the back of the net.

Five minutes later and there was controversy at Roots Hall after the visitors were awarded a dubious penalty.

A nothing ball hoofed forward by a Tykes defender was latched onto by Marley Watkins, who was brought down by Bentley. 

The contact looked outside the box, but the referee awarded a spot kick, with Bentley booked.

Up stepped midfielder Josh Scowen, who slotted to Bentley's right, sending the stopper the wrong way.

But Blues found a way back through Wordsworth, who brilliantly fired into the bottom corner after neat hold up play from Weston.

And the second goal wasn't too far away either, with Prosser prodding home at the back post after a cross wasn't cleared by the Barnsley back line.

So Blues went in at the break with the advantage, which was probably what they deserved after having a lot of the ball and the attempts at goal.

On 55 minutes, Blues had an appeal for a penalty waved away after Wordsworth went down under a challenge.

The game did calm down at the start of the second 45 minutes with chances being few and far between for both sides, with the Blues defending resolutely against a Barnsley side that huffed and puffed.

With 22 minutes left a phenomenal move involving Michael Timlin, Mooney and Weston resulted in the latter testing Davies. 

Ben Coker lashed wide of the target after good tenacity and play by substitute Will Atkinson with ten minutes remaining.

With five minutes remaining, Sam Winnall headed over the bar for Barnsley from the corner.
At the other end, and with time running out, Joe Pigott tested Davies with a strike from long range.

But that was to be that as the Blues held on to register their third consecutive victory at Roots Hall with the win.

Blues: Bentley; White (c), Bolger, Prosser, Coker; Timlin, Leonard, Wordsworth (Rea, 75); Mooney (Atkinson, 79), Pigott (McLaughlin, 87), Weston

Unused substitutes: T. Smith, Payne, Hurst, Williams

Advertisement block