Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Southend United 1-0 Port Vale

10 October 2015

Joe Pigott's strike the difference at Roots Hall against Port Vale.

Joe Pigott's fifth goal of the season earned the Blues a narrow 1-0 win against Port Vale in League 1 on Saturday afternoon.

Pigott scored from close range as Blues returned to winning ways in the league, sealing the points after a confident performance.

Manager Phil Brown named three changes to the starting XI that defeated Crawley Town in midweek for the game at home to Port Vale.

In came Ryan Leonard, David Mooney, Michael Timlin, in for Will Atkinson, Jack Payne and Anthony Wordsworth.

And Adam Thompson has also made a welcome return to the squad, with the defender on the bench for the Blues.

It was a frantic start, and after Sam Foley fired over the bar on four minutes, the next attack saw Leonard drive over the bar for the Blues after Joe Pigott's pull back on the left.

And just after ten minutes the Blues hit the post through Pigott.

Ben Coker's lofted cross was headed back across goal by skipper John White before Pigott's effort hit a couple of Vale players before cannoning off the post and being cleared.

The Valiants went close to breaking the deadlock on 20 minutes as ex-Blue Anthony Grant saw his strike smash against Enoch Andoh, deceive Dan Bentley but drift just past the post.

It was an entertaining game, in truth, and after the half hour mark, Myles Weston has two chances to give Blues the advantage.

His first flew just wide of the target after a neat Pigott pull back, before an attempt just moments later was prodded just wide after a neat one-two with Mooney.

It was a half full of chances, and with half time creeping up, Mooney stabbed wide after another Coker corner caused mayhem in the box, then Timlin curled just over Jak Alnwick's bar.

Both teams went in level at the break, but there was no doubting the entertainment value of the first 45 minutes.

After the break, the chances continued to come, with both sides probing for an opener at an overcast Roots Hall.

For the visitors, Colin Daniel curled just past the post, whilst Gary Deegan's shot went close for the hosts.

Brown changed things up after the hour, bringing on Anthony Wordsworth for Deegan, who had been booked in the first half.

And it didn't take long for Wordsworth to make an instant impact.

He got to the byline before his low cross was turned home by Pigott, who scored his first goal of the season at Roots Hall and his fifth of the season in all competitions.

In truth, it was just what Blues deserved following a number of openings in the first half and the early stages of the second 45.

Blues' tails were up now, and soon after Pigott's strike, Weston drove into the side netting from a tight angle. 

On 79 minutes the visitors went close again when substitute Byron Moore drilled just past Bentley's right-hand post.

With ten minutes of the game remaining, Brown made his final change of the game with David Worrall coming on for David Mooney.

Time was running out for Vale to snatch an equaliser, but they went close with just six minutes of the game remaining as Moore flashed a strike over the bar.

Two minutes later and Bentley had to be sharp to stop Andoh from grabbing a late equaliser for Rob Page's side.

And that was to be that as Pigott's fifth goal in his last four games ensure Blues earned their second consecutive win at Roots Hall.

Blues: Bentley; White (c), Bolger, Prosser, Coker; Weston, Leonard, Deegan (Wordsworth, 60), Timlin (Atkinson, 70); Mooney (Worrall, 79), Pigott

Unused substitutes: Thompson, Payne, O'Neill, Williams

Advertisement block