Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Crawley Town 0-3 Southend United

6 October 2015

Goals from Myles Weston and two from Joe Pigott ensure Blues progress in the JPT to round three.

Another Tuesday night Joe Pigott brace and Myles Weston's opener resulted in Southend United' progress in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy as they beat Crawley Town 3-0.

Blues dominated from the off, with Weston slotting home mid-way through the first half, before Pigott scored just before half time and then three minutes prior to the full time whistle.

Boss Phil Brown names five changes to the lineup for the match against the Red Devils, with John White, Anthony Wordsworth, Jack Payne, Weston and Will Atkinson all coming in.

Out went Luke O'Neill, whilst David Worrall, Michael Timlin, David Mooney and Ryan Leonard all dropped to the bench.

Blues started the brighter against their League 2 opponents, with former Crawley loanee Wordsworth hitting just inches past Callum Preston's left-hand post after only six minutes of play.

On 18 minutes Blues went even closer to taking the lead through Weston, whose curling effort had to be flicked over the bar by Reds stopper Preston.

And from the resultant corner, neat play between Payne and Wordsworth led to the latter volleying just wide of the target.

At the other end, Crawley's first effort on Dan Bentley's goal came through midfielder Luke Rooney.

The Crawley man latched onto a pinpoint Gwion Edwards cross and volleyed at goal, which Bentley had to get down low to stop.

Blues took the lead just before the half an hour mark as Weston cooly slotted home to give the Blues a deserved lead.

Weston's confidence was high and moments later he went on a solo run before firing over the bar.

With the half creeping to a close, the Blues added a second goal to their tally as Pigott fired home – via a deflection.

He was put in by Ben Coker, before his strike deflected off Liam Donnelly, deceiving Preston and finding the corner of the net. 

After the break, Crawley did have the ball in the net through Barnard, but the ex-Blue was offside when substitute Lewis Young's cross came in from the right.

At the other end, Payne smashed wide from the edge of the box in a frantic start to the second 45 minutes.

Ten minutes into the half and Crawley then saw an effort cleared off the line by Ben Coker.

A low ball in from Edwards clipped the heels of Barnard, and was rolling into the back of the net if it wasn't for Coker covering and hacking clear of danger. 

Substitute Shamir Fenelon was next to try his luck for the hosts, turning well but firing tamely at Bentley, who held well.

Brown made his first change of the evening when he replaced Wordsworth – who was booked in the first half – with Timlin.

Crawley were pushing for a goal of their own and Fenelon went close again before Roarie Deacon forced Bentley into a save from inside the box.

Brown was utilising his squad, and gave the impressive Weston a rest for the final eight minutes of the game, replacing the attacker with Worrall.

And there was still time for Pigott to add gloss to the scoreline with an emphatic finish.

The striker was put through on the right before smashing home off the underside of the bar to ensure Blues' progress in the competition, booking their place in round three.

Blues: Bentley; White (c), Bolger, Prosser, Coker; Deegan, Atkinson, Wordsworth (Timlin, 58); Payne (Mooney, 75), Pigott, Weston (Worrall, 82).

Unused substitutes: Leonard, Williams

Advertisement block