Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Oldham Athletic 2-5 Southend United

24 November 2015

Five different scorers for Blues in emphatic win at Boundary Park!

Southend United hit five goals for the first time under boss Phil Brown as the Blues sensational beat Oldham Athletic 5-2 at Boundary Park.

Five different goalscorers got themselves on the scoresheet for the Blues on the night – Jack Payne and David Mooney in the first half, before David Worrall, Will Atkinson and Luke Prosser added 'the winning goals' in the second 45 in a crazy five minutes durng this period, which also included a missed penalty.

Payne opened the scoring after just five minutes before Mooney pounced before the break to put Blues in command.

After Worrall added a third, Oldham battled back to score two of their own.

But further goals from close range by both Atkinson and Prosser saw Blues resturn to Essex with the three points.

Boss Phil Brown named an unchanged squad for the clash with the Latics as the one that defeated Blackpool at Roots Hall just three days earlier.

It was a perfect start for the Blues, who took the lead just five minutes into the second half.

He scored in the last away match at Sheffield United, and Payne doubled his tally for the season with his early strike as he cooly slotted home into the bottom right-hand corner from ten yards after a corner wasn't cleared by the Oldham defence.

But Oldham battled back and were unlucky not to equalise on 18 minutes when Sheffield United loanee Michael Higdon saw his header from a Joe Mills corner cannon against the post before James Wilson lashed well wide of the target from the follow up.

Higdon was proving a handful for the Blues defence and went close again mid-way through the first half before play was pulled back for a foul in the build up.

But Blues found a deserved second of the first half with just two minutes of it remaining.

After a cleared corner was flicked back in by skipper John White, Mooney was waiting, lurking to pounce, lashing home from eight yards out.

It was a key time to add the second for the Blues, who took that advantage into the break, but only just.

At the other end – and with just a minute of the first 45 remaining – Dan Bentley reacted well to stop a header from close range before the half came to a close.

After the break, Blues started strongly again, and added a third goal to the tally through Worrall, against one of his former clubs.

Kevan Hurst's long range drive took a deflection and looped into the path of Worrall just a couple of yards out, who nodded home, past David Cornell on 50 minutes.

But unfortunately for the winger, this was his last action of the evening as he was clattered into when he bravely headed home, and he was replaced by Glen Rea.

Oldham's heads didn't go down and they gave themselves a lifeline soon after when Higdon fired low into the back of Bentley's goal after a ball dropped to him in the box to pull one back for the Latics.

By this time, Oldham boss David Dunn had replaced right back Richard Eckersley for experienced frontman Ricardo Fuller, and Fuller went close to finding the net from the edge of the box just before the hour mark, but fortunately for Blues, the ball whistled past Bentley's right-hand post.

Bentley had to be alert just minutes after the hour to firstly tip a Wilson header over his upright, and then – from the resulting corner – stop a whipped effort from Joseph Mills at his near post.

Bentley was called into action on 66 minutes to smother an effort from Mark Yeates, which bounced wickedly just before it reached Southend's number one.

Brown made his second change of the evening with just under 20 minutes to go when he threw on Joe Pigott to replace one of the goalscorers in Mooney.

And soon after there was more drama when the hosts were awarded a penalty kick.

It was sensationally saved by Bentley, who dived to his left, but in the next move, Higdon made no mistake, nodding home at the back post after a dinked cross from the right.

Oldham's tails were up as they sensed an equaliser, but Blues added further damage in sensational style and in a frantic few minutes.

With ten minutes to go, Will Atkinson popped up for his first of the season from close range, beating Cornell to the ball.

And then two minutes later – and after only being on as a substitute for a matter of seconds, Prosser headed home after more poor goalkeeping from Cornell to give Blues the three-goal advantage once again with eight minutes left.

Prosser was called into action during added time to produce a great block on substitute Giorgio Rasulo, but Blues controlled the rest of the game and deservedly headed back south – and onto the home game against Wigan Athletic on Saturday – with the win.

Blues: Bentley; White (c), Thompson, Barrett, Coker; Worrall (Rea, 52), Leonard, Atkinson, Hurst; Payne (Prosser, 81) ; Mooney (Pigott, 71)

Unused substitutes: T. Smith, Bolger, O'Neill, Williams

Advertisement block