Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Burton Albion 2-1 Southend United

18 March 2015

Blues suffer late heartbreak against ten-man Burton Albion

Southend United went down 2-1 to table topping Burton Albion thanks to a late goal from substitute Nasser El Khayati.

The winger turned home a great effort with just a minute left to leave Blues ruing the one-man advantage they had in the second half.

Robbie Weir was sent off just moment after Barry Corr had given Blues the lead on the stroke of half time.

Boss Phil Brown named an unchanged side for the game against the table toppers, with Dan Bentley keeping his place in-between the posts, thus making his 100th appearance for the Club, as Blues aimed to continue the momentum from the victory over Dagenham & Redbridge.

It was a quiet opening few minutes of the game, before the hosts had the first opportunity of the match. A neat corner found it's way to right back Phil Edwards in the box, but luckily for Blues, the defender blazed his shot over Bentley's crossbar.

At the other end, Corr forced Jon McLoughlin into tipping the ball over the bar, after he headed a Ben Coker cross goalwards.

Corr had another chance to break the deadlock six minutes later, with his drive stinging the palms of Brewers 'keeper McLoughlin.

On 21 minutes Blues had a great chance to open the scoring after referee James Linington awarded the visitors a penalty after Luke Prosser's shirt was pulled in the box. Corr took the kick, but he saw his effort saved and the danger was cleared.

The hosts had two quick fire chances to score themselves soon after the missed penalty. Firstly, Stuart Beavon saw his strike whistle just over the bar, following a good Phil Edwards cross, and then John Mousinho crashed a header inches over the upright from close range.

But Corr did get on the scoresheet on the stroke of half time, as he turned home a mis-hit shot from Pigott.

And moments later Corr was in the thick of the action again. The Irishman went down in the middle of the pitch, after a Mousinho challenge, before a melee incurred. 

Once the dust had settled, Weir was shown a straight red card, for an off the ball incident.

After the break, Ryan Leonard's volley flashed inches over the bar, whilst at the other end, Lucas Akins saw his header held comfortably by Bentley.

But just before the hour mark the Brewers found an equaliser. Akins was involved again, and it was his run down the right that caused Blues problems. His cross was cut out but fell nicely for substitute Matty Palmer, who slammed an effort into the bottom corner of the net from the edge of the box.

Blues had to ride the Burton storm at times, with Akins and El Khayati taking shots from distance that went wide.

With six minutes remaining, Brown threw caution to the wind and put Jake Cassidy on for Adam Thompson.

But five minutes later and the ten men dug out a winning goal through the impressive El Khayati. The winger cut in from the left and curled his effort around John White and Bentley to see it nestle into the bottom corner.

It was a hammer blow for the Blues, who had no time to snatch a late equaliser.

Blues: Bentley; White (c), Thompson (Cassidy, 84), Prosser, Coker; Worrall (Weston, 66), Timlin, Leonard, Hurst; Corr, Pigott (Payne, 62)

Unused Substitutes: Atkinson, T. Smith, Deegan, Binnom-Williams

Advertisement block