Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: AFC Wimbledon 0-0 Southend United

3 March 2015

Corr hits the bar but the game ends all square at Kingsmeadow in Sky Bet League Two.

Southend were unable to find a late winner as they played out a 0-0 draw with AFC Wimbledon on Tuesday evening at Kingsmeadow.

Phil Brown named an unchanged starting eleven following the 2-0 win over Carlisle United at Roots Hall on Saturday, as Dan Bentley returned to the squad to take a place on the bench.

The opening stages contained little by way of chances, but Adam Thompson had to be alert when called upon in the 11th minute to thwart the advances of Alfie Potter in the Southend penalty area.

Just one minute later, Barry Corr could have broken the deadlock for Blues with a low strike across goal from the left-hand side, with Dons keeper Joe McDonnell standing firm to prevent Southend taking the lead.

Ted Smith reacted quickly when it seemed that a combinations of ricochets would present the hosts with a chance to score, rushing off of his line to gather the ball.

Corr combined with Michael Timlin in the 20th minute with some smart link-up play, which led to the midfielder, who netted in the last game against Carlisle United, seeing his shot blocked.

It was to be Wimbledon who would go closest to breaking the deadlock in the first half, when Smith tipped away a dangerous cross, before Tom Beere rattled the crossbar with a fierce effort.

Smith was called into action once again before the interval, having to get down quickly to deny Adedeji Oshilaja’s low attempt, before plucking a looping ball out of the air amid the melee that followed.

Blues missed a chance to capitalise at the start of the second half, when Corr intercepted before setting Worrall on a run, but the winger could only fire over McDonnell’s goal.

Phil Brown opted to make his first change of the evening in the 65th minute, with Jack Payne replacing Will Atkinson.

Wimbledon counterpart Neal Ardley followed suit, bringing on Ade Azeez and Sean Rigg to replace Alfie Potter and Craig Tanner.

Azeez nearly broke through on goal after challenging Luke Prosser, but once again Thompson was alert to race across and clear the danger.

Wimbledon substitute Rigg then took aim with a volley, but Smith responded well in the Southend goal to keep hold of the ball.

Controversy reigned supreme in the 77th minute, when Corr took aim. The Irish striker’s attempt cannoned down off the crossbar, with Corr adamant that the ball had crossed the line. 

Southend boss Brown then withdrew Corr, opting to introduce Jake Cassidy.

A poor clearance from Dons keeper McDonnell under pressure gave Timlin a sight of goal, but his curling effort from range was chested away from the goal by a blue shirt.

Azeez rose highest to head at goal after a Wimbledon corner, but his effort flew wide of the Southend goal.

The final throws of the game were end-to-end, with Timlin called upon just moment later to make a last ditch challenge to deny Azeez.

The fourth official indicated a minimum of three minutes of added time, as Blues went in search of a late winner. 

Adebayo Akinfenwa headed away a promising-looking corner from Worrall, before Payne threatened to break the deadlock with a surging run in the right channel.

Blues won a late free-kick on the edge of the area, with Timlin curling a dangerous ball toward the back-post, only for Akinfenwa to clear once more.

Despite a late spell of pressure, Southend were unable to find that all important goal - taking one point from the trip to Kingsmeadow.

BLUES: T. Smith; White, Thompson, Prosser, Coker; Worrall, Leonard, Atkinson (Payne - 65’), Timlin; Corr (Cassidy - 78'), Pigott.

Unused Subs: Bentley, Binnom-Williams, Deegan, Hurst, Weston.

Advertisement block