Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Season Review: August 2014

1 June 2015

A month-by-month look back on the 2014-15 season for the Blues.

We begin our look back on a fantastic, promotion-winning season by returning to sunny August 2014 at Accrington Stanley...

Saturday 9th August 2014 - Accrington Stanley (A)

So here we are then, the first game of the 2014-15 campaign full of hope, dreams and optimism. Little did we know what would unfold throughout a truly topsy-turvy season!

A number of Blues made their competitive debuts for Southend at the Crown Ground against Stanley, who conceded a penalty in the first half after Shaq Coulthirst was brought down in the box. Up stepped Barry Corr, who saw his strike saved by the Stanley 'keeper. Fortunately for the Blues, we were awarded with another later in the match. Lee Barnard took the spot kick and saw the shot nestle nicely in the corner of the net to take the points back to Essex.

Tuesday 12th August – Walsall (Capital One Cup) (H) 

A much changed side took on Walsall at Roots Hall for a Capital One Cup fixture.

Malvind Benning gave the visitors the lead in Essex before Ryan Leonard's thunderous hit got the Blues back on level terms.

But, with three minutes left, substitute Kieron Morris bagged the winner for the Saddlers to put them in the hat for the next round. For Blues, it was a case of better luck next year.

Saturday 16th August – Stevenage (H)

Four days later and we were back at Roots Hall for our first home league match of the campaign. The sun was shining in more ways than one as Blues ran out comfortable 2-0 winners against Graham Westley's side, who had just been relegated from League One.

Myles Weston made amends for his missed penalty a week earlier by putting us in the lead after just nine minutes, before Ben Coker added Blues second ten minutes later with a right foot finish past Sam Beasant – son of Dave.

It was the perfect start for Southend with two wins from two league games, and an early third place position.

Tuesday 19th August – AFC Wimbledon (H)

Roots Hall was the place of interest for the third consecutive game in a row for Southend in all competitions as we came down to earth with a bump against AFC Wimbledon.

Despite Blues having shots at will, the goal wouldn't come. For the Dons, George Francomb's drive on the hour mark proved to be the difference as Southend dropped down to eighth place in the division.

Saturday 23rd August – Carlisle United (A)

The first of a couple of mammoth trips for Blues in the space of a week, Southend made the trip to Brunton Park looking to get back to winning ways. A creditable 269 Blues travelled to Cumbria for the game, and witnessed Phil Brown's side come back from 1-0 down.

Anthony Sweeney gave Graham Kavanagh's side the lead against the run of play just before half time, but Conor Clifford's long range strike levelled things up just two minutes later.

And that was how it stayed as Blues remained in eighth place with a trip to Plymouth Argyle on the horizon.

Saturday 30th August – Plymouth Argyle (A)

The second long trip in a week saw Southend head west to Devon to take on much fancied Plymouth Argyle at Home Park.

It was a disastrous start for the Blues who had Cian Bolger sent off after just 15 minutes for two bookable offences.

The ten men bravely made a game of it despite their disadvantage and shaded the possession against the Pilgrims however couldn't stop John Sheridan's men from taking the spoils.

Lewis Alessandra gave the hosts the lead just after half time, with the scoreline being doubled 15 minutes later through the much-travelled striker Reuben Reid.

So a disappointing end to the opening month for Southend after an impressive start. We ended the month in 14th place following the winless recent run, but September would bring cheers and celebrations for the Southend faithful...

Advertisement block