Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Southend United 2-1 Charlton Athletic

28 July 2015

Wordsworth and Mooney goals seal the win for the Blues.

Southend United produced a confident performance to produce an excellent 2-1 victory against Charlton Athletic at Roots Hall.

A first half goal from Anthony Wordsworth and a great header from David Mooney sealed the win for the Blues, after Michail Kennedy had equalised for the Addicks.

The first chance of the game came to Ryan Leonard, but the midfielder failed to get a clean contact on the ball, which led to his effort swirling wide of goal.

Callum Harriott then had a chance for Charlton Athletic, but the Addicks man lashed his effort out of the ground.

Next up a foraging run from Myles Weston forged the next opportunity for Blues, with the former Charlton man lashing a low effort just wide of Nick Pope’s goal.

David Worrall and David Mooney then combined on the left, with the latter rolling the ball into the path of Wordsworth, but he could only fire over.

Leonard then stung the palms of Pope from range, before Cian Bolger headed wide from a Ben Coker corner.

Mooney then pinged a perfectly-weighted pass on to the head of Will Atkinson, who saw his headed effort plucked out of the air by Pope.

Worrall then went down in the area with shouts for a penalty, before the ball broke for Leonard, who could only fire over.

Southend took the lead in the 30th minute, when some slick passing led to Wordworth firing past Pope on the half-volley.

However, the visitors hit back immediately, with Karlan Ahearne-Grant and Mikhail Kennedy combining before Kennedy fired across goal and into the back of Ted Smith’s net to level the scores.

Ahearne-Grant then worked an opening, but was muscled off the ball before Smith pushed the ball away from danger.

Weston then robbed Tareiq Holmes-Dennis of the ball on the edge of the penalty area, before teeing up Atkinson, but his effort was tamed and gathered by Pope at the near post.

The sides went in level at the break, with Charlton making three changes in the interval. Addicks boss Guy Luzon sent on Dimitar Mitov, Oliver Muldoon and Regan Charles-Cook in place of Pope, Ahearne-Grant and new signing Ahmed Kashi.

Mitov was immediately called into action, pulling off a fine save to tip over a Wordsworth free-kick within two minutes of the restart of play.

He was as it again seven minutes later, this time denying a thundering header from Bolger at his near post.

Blues regained the lead in the 57th minute, when Weston’s fizzing effort from range was parried away by Mitov, but only as far as Worrall. The Southend winger then squared the ball back across the face of goal for Mooney to nod in from close range.

Luzon then made two further changes, with Loïc Nego and George Lapslie replacing Aaron Barnes and Johnnie Jackson.

Blues boss Phil Brown then made his first change of the evening, withdrawing Atkinson in order to send on Gary Deegan.

Southend went in pursuit of a third goal, with Mooney having two bites at the cherry. First, Mooney tried his luck from range, with Mitov parrying his effort, before smothering the follow-up.

Kevan Hurst then replaced Worrall, while Reza Ghoochannejhad replaced Harriott for the Addicks.

Mooney then departed to a standing ovation, with Jack Payne replacing him.

With three minutes remaining, a dangerous lofted ball from deep courtesy of Holmes-Dennis nearly crept in, but Smith recovered to claw the ball away from the goal.

Charlton then had a couple of corners in quick succession, with first Bolger and then Deegan clearing the danger as time ran out.

Southend United will now face Leyton Orient at Roots Hall on Sunday (13:00 KO), as they finish their preparations for their League One return.

SOUTHEND UNITED: T. Smith; White, Bolger, Prosser, Coker; Atkinson (Deegan - 69’), Leonard, Wordsworth, Worrall (Hurst - 75’); Weston; Mooney (Payne - 77’).

Unused Subs: P. Smith; Barrett, Timlin.

Advertisement block