Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Dagenham & Redbridge 2-1 Southend United

25 July 2015

Blues suffer pre-season defeat at Dagenham & Redbridge.

Southend United suffered a pre-season friendly defeat at Dagenham & Redbridge, despite taking the lead at Victoria Road.

Michael Timlin gave Blues the lead mid-way through the first half, but a Matt McClure brace sealed the win for the Daggers.

Phil Brown handed a start to trialist Danny Galbraith, while John White, Ben Coker, Anthony Wordsworth and David Mooney all started at Victoria Road.

Ted Smith started in goal and was called into action early on when he had to rush from the goal-line to deny Jamie Cureton inside the first 60 seconds of the game.

Then, at the other end, Mark Cousins was called into action to keep hold of Luke Prosser’s header from a Kevan Hurst corner.

In the 12th minute, Joe Widdowson was substituted after coming off worse in a clash of headers with Blues defender Prosser. His replacement was Jack Connors.

Summer signing Anthony Wordsworth then spread the ball out wide to Hurst, before receiving the ball and wriggling away from his man before rolling a low effort wide of goal.

Timlin then released Hurst down the flank, with his whipped cross just evading Jack Payne at the far post, before Cureton curled an effort over the Southend goal.

Adam Barrett received treatment for a clash of heads, but played on, shortly before Ashley Chambers fizzed a free-kick just wide of Smith’s goal.

The first goal of the game came in the 35th minute, when Timlin arrived to power a header past Cousins after a corner from Hurst.

Smith was forced into a double-save just before the break, first denying Matt McClure after a shot on the turn, before palming away a stooping header from Cureton.

However, the sides would go in level at the interval, with McClure pouncing to head home from a corner in the 45th minute.

Yago Fernández replaced Luke Prosser for the second half, as his trial with the club continues.

Dagenham also made a change, as they swapped goalkeepers, with Liam O’Brien coming on for Cousins.

McClure grabbed his second goal of the afternoon just nine minutes into the second half, turning the ball past Smith after a low ball was put into the box.

Blues looked to hit back quickly, but Payne saw his low effort thwarted by O’Brien.

Brown then made two further changes, sending on Cian Bolger and Myles Weston in place of Adam Barrett and trialist Danny Galbraith.

Dagenham then made a host of substitutions, with Ashley Hemmings, Chambers, Cureton and McClure coming off to be replaced by Andre Boucard, Christian Doidge, Zavon Hines and Aaron McLean, formerly of Hull City and Peterborough United.

Hurst raced through on to a ball of the top in the 70th minute, but after advancing on goal he could only lift an attempt over the crossbar.

Timlin was withdrawn after a clash of heads, with Gary Deegan coming on in his place. Hurst also departed in the 75th minute, with David Worrall his replacement.

The next in the string of substitutions saw Wordsworth make way for Ryan Leonard with just ten minutes remaining.

Brown then brought on Will Atkinson in place of Payne with five minutes of play left, while Daggers boss Wayne Burnett sent on Ian Gayle and Ade Yussuf to replace Nyron Nosworthy and Matt Richards.

Weston played Leonard in through the centre in the 88th minute, but the midfielder dragged his low effort wide of the near-post.

Mooney tried his luck from distance just before the final whistle, but Daggers keeper O’Brien was equal to his effort.

BLUES: T. Smith; White, Prosser (Fernández - 45’), Barrett (Bolger - 60’), Coker; Hurst (Worrall - 75’), Wordsworth (Leonard - 80’), Timlin (Deegan - 75’), Galbraith (Weston - 60’); Payne (Atkinson - 85’); Mooney.

Unused Subs: P. Smith, Adeyeye, Bridge, Williams.

Attendance: 696 (including 278 from Southend)

Advertisement block