Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Southend United 2-0 Carlisle United

28 February 2015

Second half Timlin and Corr strikes seal the points for Blues.

Second half goals from Michael Timlin and Barry Corr helped Southend United get back to winning ways with a 2-0 victory over Carlisle United at Roots Hall.

After an entertaining but goal-less first half, Blues sprung into life through Timlin's sublime volley, before Corr finished off a neatly crafter move with around 25 minutes remaining.

Ted Smith made a return to the Southend starting XI, filling in for Dan Bentley, who missed out on the squad after failing a late fitness test.

Will Atkinson makes a return to the XI, and he replaced Gary Deegan. 

At centre back, Luke Prosser and Adam Thompson came in for Adam Barrett and Cian Bolger.

Blues began well, but it was Carlisle who had the opening chance of the game, with Steven Rigg's header held by Smith, who was making his second professional appearance, following on from his debut against Accrington Stanley earlier in the month.

On four minutes, Kyle Dempsey's rasping effort flew past the post.

Just after the 20-minute mark, Joe Pigott had a chance. However, the in form forward saw his left-footed effort parried away from danger by Raphael Spiegel in the Carlisle goal.

On the half hour mark, Atkinson fired over the bar from the edge of the box after Pigott missed Worrall's knockdown.

With five minutes of the half remaining, the impressive Dempsey hit a goal-bound effort towards the bottom corner of Smith's net, but Prosser got the slightest of touches on the effort and the ball went out for a corner, when it really should have been 1-0 to the visitors.

Five minutes after the break and Blues took the lead through Timlin's terrific effort from the edge of the box, leaving Spiegel floundering in the Carlisle goal.

It was exactly what was needed for the Blues, and they went close to extending their lead, but Pigott couldn't get on the end of a long throw from Ryan Leonard from the left side.

On 65 minutes, Carlisle had a shout for a penalty after Rigg went down under a challenge from Smith. However, referee Trevor Kettle waved away the pleas from the Cumbrians.

Less than ten minutes later and Corr bagged his third goal in as many games, when he finished off a neat flowing move. 

Timlin's cross into the box found Worrall's head. The knockdown found Corr and he knocked the ball into the back of the net from close range.

Blues were playing with freedom, and Worrall lashed wide from a tight angle after being put through by the impressive Timlin.

And into stoppage time, Corr got on the end of a Kevan Hurst pull back but saw his strike deflect wide of the target, but Blues secured the three points comfortably, in the end.

Blues: T. Smith; White (c), Thompson, Prosser, Coker; Atkinson, Leonard, Timlin, Worrall (Hurst, 87); Pigott (Payne, 78), Corr

Unused Substitutes: Weston, Coulthirst, Deegan, Binnom-Williams, Barrett

Advertisement block